The Move In

Author's Note: Family Comes First now has one million views. One million!! Oh my god, I can't believe it. You all are the most amazing people ever. I didn't think anybody would want to read my stories, so I'm so happy you guys are enjoying it. I know these author notes things must be annoying, but I honestly can't thank you all enough! Thank you!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Carrie's POV:

Jacob didn't let me bring any boxes into the house. He made me sit on the edge of the new leather couch my parents bought me. He got mad whenever he saw me up. I stayed put on the couch and directed him to every room that the boxes need to go. When he was done, he plopped down onto the couch next to me.

"You didn't have to help me move," I told him.

"I know." He flashed me a smile. "But I really wanted to. You think you're going to be comfortable here?"

"Yeah," I said looking around at the stacks of boxes. "I can't wait until Julie and Hunter get here though. It will feel less lonely."

"You now you can call me whenever you need, right?"

I gave him a smile and nodded my head.

"When do you think Julie will snap out of it?" I asked.

Jacob shrugged his shoulders. "Stockholm Syndrome is a difficult thing to judge. I've never seen a case as bad as hers before. But I do know that when her head clears up, we're going to learn even more disturbing things about that family."

Julie was sick and it disgusted me to hear her defend Tommy. Just saying the name in my head wanted to make me burst into tears. I didn't blame Julie though. I could see how Jimmy twisted her mind to make her believe she loved her. Julie even tried to warp my mind, but she didn't do it out of pleasure like Tommy. Julie wanted me to get comfortable there. She did everything she could to take care of me and to stop me from getting punished.

The lashes on my back were healing, but every move I made had my skin feeling like it was pulling and tearing.

"I don't think that family could get any worse," I mumbled.

"When we catch them, I promise you I'll make sure they pay for what they did to you girls," he told me. "We have heard that they are in Albuquerque. We're going to follow it."

"I hope you find them."

"It's been difficult. It's like they've never existed."

"I guess they never left the house."

"I'm not supposed to tell you this, but we have found a graveyard on their farm. Do you have any idea who is there?"

I could feel my eyes widen and I shook my head. Tommy gloated about all the people they have killed, but they gave them graves? Was it like a trophy? A reminder of who they have killed and how powerful they were to take away life?

"No," I said. "It's probably the people they've killed."

"I doubt it. Why have the bones in the basement, but have a graves outside? The bones are being examined right now."

"Wait." I reached out and grabbed Jacob's arm. "They buried their father after he had a heart attack."

"You're positive?"

"Yeah, it was the only night he didn't hurt me."

I don't know if it was because Charles had died or because of the deal Tommy and Julie had made.

Jacob reached out and rubbed my thigh. I could feel the heat rush up to my cheeks. I bit down on my lip and dropped my gaze.

"I think you need to get your mind off of everything," he told me.

"How?" I asked.

"Go out and enjoy yourself."

"I can't. Reporters follow me everywhere."

I didn't like going anywhere without Jacob or a police officer. When I left the hospital, the reporters swamped me. The police had to push them back as they escorted me to a car. I hoped the buzz would die down so that I can go outside in peace. If it doesn't, I'll be trapped in this house, just like I was with Tommy.

"How about this?" he asked, shifting his weight on the couch. He turned his body so that he was facing me. "We can have a night in. Order a pizza and watch a couple of movies. It will help you get your mind off of everything that has just happened."

"Really?" I asked. "You'd want to do that?"

"I want to help you cope," he said. "I know what you've been through is very traumatic and your family isn't helping you out."

"My Dad got me this house."

"Yeah, nobody is really here for you."

Carrie couldn't stop herself from smiling. Jacob's lips had lifted into a smile too. He gave her knee a slight squeeze and got up off of the couch.

"Let me help you unpack," he said.

"You don't have to," I said as I got up off the couch. My face winced as the pain spread across my back.

"Sit down," he told me. "You're going to hurt yourself even more."

I carefully sat back down on the couch and time flew by as I talked to Jacob,

--

My heart pounded with every creak in the house. I've been lying in bed for hours. The last time I looked at the clock it was three o'clock. The shadows on the walls terrified me. They seemed like they were twisting and moving.

I felt like I could hear the rhythmic sound of Tommy's breath when he fell asleep. I used to lie awake in that bed. I was both too scared and too sore to sleep. I watched the shadows move on the wall through those horrible bars on the window.

If I fell into a pocket of sleep, I dreamed of Tommy. He was forcing himself on me and threatening me. In one twisted dream he pulled out his pocketknife and threatened to cut off my fingers. I woke up and it felt like I could feel the blade pressed against my flesh.

I grabbed my phone off of the nightstand. Time had ticked away to four a.m. I scrolled through my phone. I tried to occupy myself with pointless games, but my mind couldn't let go of Tommy.

I scrolled through my phone until I found the name Jacob Cameron. I called him and I felt my heart swell in my chest when I heard his voice.