Chapter Nineteen

Finally summer’s here, good to be chillin’ out. I’m off the clock, the pressure’s off, now my Larry story’s what it’s all about.

Happy Reading!

8===D8===D8===D8===D8===D

CHAPTER NINETEEN

HARRY’S POV

“I’m nervous,” Louis says, holding on to me for dear life.

“Don’t be.”

“I can’t do this.”

“Yes you can.”

He hides his face in my shirt fabric, attempting to keep himself together.

“You’re on in one minute, boys.” I look up and gently detach myself from my anxious boyfriend. He looks at me, distraught. Taking a deep breath, he pulls himself together. His fingers absentmindedly travel to his pocket, where he traces the small box.

“Please welcome,” I hear from the stage, “One Direction!” Cheers explode from the audience and the lads and I make our way to center stage, jumping and dancing with forced enthusiasm.

We sing two of our biggest hits: What Makes You Beautiful and Live While We’re Young, reciting the over-played lyrics to the eager crowd. They fist-bump and wave signs, singing along to the words they know so well. I notice Eleanor in the front of the crowd, slightly hidden to the side. She has a relaxed smile on her face but I know that she has been warned of what is to come as well. When the last song is over, a woman I can only assume is the interviewer walks over to us.

“Brilliant job, boys!” Directing her attention to the audience, she says, “How about another round of applause for One Direction!” The crowd cheers in response.

“So, I’ve received word that there is something big happening on my show today,” she winks. The spectators turn to one another, whispering excitedly.

“There is,” says Louis, smiling nervously. The crowd gets rather jittery as Louis continues with, “May my beautiful girlfriend please come up on stage please.”

Eleanor, clad in nude heels and a simple but elegant olive-green dress, climbs the stairs to the stage and walks to Louis, biting her lip. He gives her a quick kiss on the lips before stepping away. Slowly he settles himself on one of his knees. Jaws drop all around as Louis takes the velvety box from his pocket and looks up at Eleanor. With care, he opens the box to reveal the glittering diamond.

Eleanor covers her mouth with both of her hands, successfully looking shocked.

“Eleanor Calder, you are the loveliest, kindest, most intelligent person I know. I have loved you since the day I met you. Will you do me the honor of being my wife?” Louis says, sounding sincere. I can’t help keep the sting away from my heart as he recites these words.

Tears fill her eyes and she nods vigorously, before spitting out a muffled and excited, “Yes!” Putting her hand out, she waits patiently as Louis slides the ring onto her slim finger. He stands and pulls her in for a tight and intimate embrace.

I look at the boys around me. There is confusion and astonishment in all of their faces, it is almost comical. Niall glances at me, and I just shrug, like I didn’t know this was going to happen. He looks suspicious but only nods.

Louis puts one of his arms around Eleanor’s shoulder and pulls her close, smiling hugely. Sometimes I wish he wasn’t such a good actor, because it hurts to see him so happy with someone other than me.

“Wow,” says the interviewer. “That was truly magical, I’m so happy for you both.” Louis and Eleanor smile politely.

“What does this mean for the band, though? Could this engagement negatively affect your career?” the interviewer asks.

Louis frowns and says, “Of course not. We may have to have a long engagement to accommodate tours and such, but in the end it doesn’t really matter,” With an even bigger smile he yells, “I’m getting married!” Eleanor giggles and grabs the side of his face, pulling him in for a kiss.

“What about the recent scandal between you and your bandmate, Harry Styles?” the interviewer inquires nodding to be. All of the boys begin to laugh.

“Honestly, we were all spectacularly drunk when that happened. When we saw it the next day, we all had a good laugh.” Louis writes the whole thing off like one big joke.

“That didn’t hurt the relationship between you two?” the interviewer asks, pointing a finger between Louis and his new ‘fiancée.’

“Oh no, of course not,” Eleanor says, “We’re in love,” She admires Louis lovingly. “Also, we’re moving in together, so it will be like we’re already married,” she beams.

I freeze. Moving in together? Louis glances at me. Our eyes meet and for a second he looks guilty, but soon regains his composure. He knew about this, he must have.

“Well that’s fantastic! There you have it ladies and gentlemen, Louis Tomlinson is now extremely off-limits!” some boos are heard from the audience. “Thank you so much for your time, One Direction!” We all nod and exit the stage. I can hear the crowd yelling a mixture of insults and cheers, completely split on this whole ordeal.

As soon as we are off stage we are whisked to our awaiting limo, Eleanor in tow. We push our way through desperate fans. Some are crying and some are congratulating. I even hear a girl say, “What about Larry?”

When we make it into the vehicle, Louis slips his arm away from Eleanor’s waist. I sit as far as possible from him, kind of annoyed he didn’t tell me he was moving out. The whole ride everyone sits in shock, some glancing at Louis and some glancing at me. We both have our eyes directed at our feet and do not make eye contact with anyone.

The limo pulls up to Louis and I’s home. The driver says, “I’ll be back in a few hours to take you to your new flat.” Louis nods and we both get out. Once inside, he goes into our now shared bedroom.

Without regarding me, he begins to pack his clothing away. I stand in the doorway and watch him.

“Why didn’t you tell me you were leaving?” I say, my voice close to breaking.

He sighs. I can tell he doesn’t want to talk about it. “Honestly, Haz, I didn’t want to face it.” He chews on his bottom lip and continues packing. When he is finished, he finally looks at me. There are tears coating his eyes but they don’t fall.

“I’m sorry, Harry, I just don’t know what to do,” he takes a shaky breath, “They said we could be together, but we messed up, Haz. They’re trying to tear us apart. It’s a consequence for our actions, for showing our feelings in public.”

“But it isn’t right,” I argue like a toddler.

“I know it isn’t right, babe, but we just need to deal with it. It’s only a little bump in the road. We’ll still get to see each other and we still love each other.” He abandons his bag and walks over to me, placing his hand delicately on my cheek. He wipes away a tear and leans his forehead against mine.

I hear a honk outside. Louis looks over and then sighs. “That’s my ride,” he says. I smile lightly and he gives me a tender kiss on the forehead. I shut my eyes tightly, taking in the rough feel of his perfect lips and wonder when I will be able to feel them again.

“Be brave for me,” he says, and with that gathers his things.

I peer out the window and watch as he gets in the car. It drives away all too quickly and before I know it I am all alone in the flat, not knowing what to do without him.