Chapter 1

As I look behind the curtains and into the ballroom, I see everything I have ever dreamt about. The figures dancing gracefully, the lights and music filling up the ballroom with life and magic like it used to back in Saint Petersburg. Except now, one thing is missing... Dimitri. I know he's not there but a girl can dream, right?

"He's not there," says the Dowager Empress Marie.

"Oh, I know he's not, he --Who's not there, Grandmama?..." I ask, hoping she didn't catch the first part and realize that I'm thinking about Dimitri.

"A remarkable young man who found a music box..." Marie replies.

I scoff. "No, he's probably too busy spending his reward money as fast as he can."

Marie opens up the curtains slightly and exclaims "Look at them dance! You were born into this world of glittering jewels and fine titles, but I wonder if this is what you really want?"

I am distorted with her comment, I walk towards her, take her hands in mine and reply, "Of course, of course, it is. I found what I was looking for. I found out who I am. I found you."

"Yes. You did find me, and you'll always have me. But is it enough?" She says.

I go to hug my Grandmama. I feel that it is enough but Dimitri just comes floating into my mind.

"... He didn't take the money." She says.

"He... didn't?" I asked shockingly.

"Knowing that you are alive, seeing the woman you have become, brings me joy I never thought I could feel again. Whatever you choose, we will always have each other." She says as she walks into the ballroom.

"Grandmama, can't you tell me --" I turn around and she is gone.

Hmm, did she tell me this so I can go after him? But he left me. He never told me that he loved me. He could have been my family, my home. But he's gone. Why am I here battling with myself??? If Dimitri loved me, he would be here fighting for my forgiveness but he doesn't care and neither should I.

"It's time!" I tell Pooka as I hear the trumpets announcing me to the world I was born into.

Announcing her Imperial Highness, Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanov!

That's my cue.