Chapter 9

I was too late. Once I arrived, I saw Anya being escorted by that Royal.

"What does she see in that Royal?" I asked Pooka.

Pooka looked at me with his head tilted.

I wondered where they were headed.

"Come on Pooka, I think they are going back to the ballroom."

Pooka followed me back through the servant's hall and back behind the curtains where we once were before.

"Vlad!"

"Dimitri! What happened?" Vlad asked.

"She's with that Royal," I replied rolling my eyes from the disgust.

"Prince Dante," Vlad said.

"She's with Dante??? That's the Royal I've been seeing her with?" I exclaimed.

Not Dante! I remember him being in the palace with the Romanovs and spending almost every holiday, summer, spring and winter together.

"Yes, Prince Dante. He arrived today." Vlad replied calmly.

"Of course. Because Anastasia is back." I said.

"Dimitri, what's wrong?" Vlad asked.

"What's wrong? What's wrong? Do you really have to ask Vlad? Anya is with the perfect guy for her. They have the same social status. They both come from families of money. She is supposed to be with him! I have no chance at all!" I told Vlad.

Vlad shook his head. "Oh, Dimitri. You don't understand. Anya loves you. Not Prince Dante." He said.

"Yeah, well she can learn to love him. She is way better off with him. I can't offer her anything. I'm just a servant boy who turned into a conman. Nothing more." I sighed.

Vlad patted my back.

I looked through the curtains and I saw Anya walking by still talking with Prince Dante.

"Look at her, Vlad. This is her world. This is where she belongs. Not me. We don't belong in the  same world..." I said to Vlad as I kept on admiring Anya's beauty.