Chapter 12

One minute I was talking to Vlad, hiding behind the curtains, before I knew it, Pooka was tugging on my pants. I stumbled and fell as I failed in keeping my balance.

OOOffff

When I looked up, there she was.

"Dimitri?" Anya asked in disbelief.

"You there! What are you doing on the floor and sneaking around behind the curtains?!" Prince Dante demanded answers from me.

I get up as quickly as I can to look at Anya. I could see how Prince Dante was hovering over Anastasia as if she was his to protect. I ignore Prince Dante's demands. I keep my eyes on Anya. She was stunned to see me. She did not say a word for what felt an eternity.

"Dimitri..." She finally broke the silence. Still in shock.

"Hello Anya," I said with a smile and took a step closer to her.

"Anya? The woman before you is her Imperial Highness, Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna Romanov." Snarled Prince Dante as he walked in between Anya and me.

"Dante, stop." She ordered him.

Prince Dante looked back at her with concerning eyes.

"You know this man?" Prince Dante asked.

"Yes, this man saved my life during the revolution as well as bringing me back to my Grandmama," Anya replied with such appreciation in her voice and without taking her eyes off of me.

"Well sir, we should be honoring you tonight for returning our Grand Duchess back to us!" Prince Dante proclaimed.

"Trust me, Prince, I did not do it for you!" I sneer between my teeth.

Anya gets in front of him and closer to me. "Of course not! You did it for yourself and for the reward money!" She managed to yell directly in my face.

I stood there hurt by her words but longing to embrace her and tell her how much I love her.

Anya broke the silence. "Prince Dante, this is Dimitri. Dimitri, this is Prince Dante."

"I have been acquainted with the Prince before, Grand Duchess," I reply to her snarky.

She smirks at me as she hears my tone.

Prince Dante puts his hand out and I give him my hand to shake. He grips my hand tightly and shakes it abruptly. "Forgive me, if I don't remember where we met but pleasuring in meeting you, Dimitri."

I let go of his tight grip. "Noted," I respond as I try to get feeling in my hand again.

I look to Anya pleading her with my eyes I ask, "Can we talk?"