Chapter 19

"What is he talking about Jeff?" Toby asked as he turned slowly to face the smiling boy. Jeff stared back at him, his eyes expressionless. 

"I asked you a question," Toby said coolly as he strode toward Jeff. The look in his eyes were cold and terrifying. It was as if he was someone else, certainly not the boy with the warm hazel eyes that everyone knew and loved. Jeff had only ever seen Toby like this once, and he knew that this look meant he was out for blood. Toby backed Jeff into a wall leaned close to him, twitching violently.

"Tell me. Now," Toby demanded calmly, his voice barely above a whisper. Jeff tried to match the boy's calm but he could suppress a shiver that ran down his spine. Toby noticed and grinned.

"Toby, calm down and I'll explain everything," Jeff coaxed.

"Calm?" Toby laughed. "You're telling me to calm down, eh? My girlfriend is in the hands of a psycho who wants to use her to defeat the most powerful being alive and gain unimaginable power and you're telling me to calm down?"

"Jeff is right," BEN muttered, "Give him a minute to explain himself." BEN rested a hand on Toby's twitching shoulder, but Toby's elbow shot out and hit him in the stomach. BEN stumbled and fell, sputtering and coughing. Before anyone else could move, Toby grabbed Jeff by the neck of his shirt and slammed him into the wall.

"You tell me where she is!" He shouted. Toby suddenly dropped Jeff, who slid to the ground and looked up to see Jane with her knife to Toby's neck.

"Take a walk," she whispered calmly into Toby's ear.

"He knows where she is and I'm not going anywhere until he either tells me or stops breathing," Toby growled.

"I said," Jane snarled, "Take. A. Walk."

Toby looked down at BEN, who was still sitting on the ground with blood trickling from the corner of his mouth, then jerked away from Jane and stormed from the room. BEN could have sworn he saw a flash of regret in his eyes as he turned away. Jane watched him go with a sigh, then turned to help BEN to his feet.

"Are you okay?" she asked. BEN was still wearing a shocked expression, but quickly composed himself when he noticed her staring.

"I'm fine," he snapped and wiped the blood from his mouth with the back of his hand. Jane ignored his tone and turned back to the Skin Taker, who was staring at the remaining four with empty eye sockets. Somehow, he looked amused. 

"It looks like you're all so much more fragile than I suspected," Skin Taker cackled.

"How do you know Jeff?" Jane asked, disregarding his comment.

"You know, we're friends," he shrugged.

"We are not friends," Jeff snapped.

"Don't be so cold, Jeffery. You and I go way back, indeed we do," he laughed. "Don't tell me you never told your little companions, now did you?"

"What is he talking about?" Jane asked, turning to face Jeff. Jeff stared down at his feet for a moment before glaring at Skin Taker. 

"He and I have done business together is all. We're not buddies and we don't talk often."

"Oh but I quite enjoy our chats, do you not?" Skin Taker grinned mischievously.

"They are less than enjoyable," Jeff growled. 

"Don't be that way, boy.  This is all thanks to you!" He laughed. "You should be proud of yourself!"

"What do you mean?"

"I've been searching for that girl for years, Jeffery. And what do you know, when I was about to give up, you tell me about this new human girl staying with you. It wasn't hard to tell she was the One once I got a look at her. So I sent you that sweet little dear with the tentacles and locked the door to your room. Naturally you wandered into the girl's room since I knew how much you disliked her. What did you think those tentacles were doing? She was examining that room."

Jeff stared at the Skin Taker, unable to speak.

"You used me," Jeff whispered.

"Played you like a fiddle, son."

White hot anger welled up in the pit of Jeff's stomach. His muscles relaxed and he casually slid his hand into his pocket. He retrieved his knife and grinned, advancing towards the skeleton man. Jane reached out and grabbed him by the shoulder, holding him back with all of her strength. She knew words were no use now and focused all her energy into keeping him away from the Skin Taker. BEN and EJ ran to her side to help restrict the psychotic boy. 

Jeff struggled against their weight, but never swung out with his knife.

Blood ran from the cuts around your wrists and mingled with the red of the sleeves of your dress. You weren't sure how long your been hanging on the cold, metal operation table, but you'd begun to feel accustomed to the lead feeling in your legs. With your head head, you tried to rest, but the Doc had injected you with something that wouldn't let you sleep.

"You shouldn't fall asleep, dear," Doc laughed, "Your little boyfriend will be here soon."

"Don't hurt him," you threatened, but you voice only sounded like an exhausted whisper.

"I won't do anything to him, I promise," Doc grinned, "I have a feeling you'll be more cooperative with him here, so I've arranged to have him escorted."

"Escorted how?"

"Unconscious, of course!" Doc chuckled. 

"You said you weren't going to touch him!" you shouted.

"Correct," he laughed, "and I haven't. Someone else is doing it for me."