02.

So which of the favors of your Lord will you, O Jinn and Mankind, deny?
(Surah Ar Rahman)

It's Jumuah (Friday) and I decide to miss school just to go to the masjid (place of worship/prayer). Maybe I can make it after fourth period. Or maybe I'll just stay home and get Ummi to write a note to the school. The latter definitely sounds better to me. It's also the second day since Zane and Maryam have arrived. Maryam took the guest bedroom at the end of the hall, while Zane got the one next to my room. How coincidental of that happening. I hate it, really. Now I'll have to be extra careful when going out without my niqab on. Or my abaya for that matter. Just great. I'll have to lock myself in my room all day, everyday, for a full year.

I hear a knock on the door and go to answer it. "Good morning, Yassy." Ummi looks at me from behind a breakfast plate. "I'm sorry about yesterday. I meant to tell you about this whole marriage thing, but I just never found the right time."

"It's fine, Ummi, really. I'm not really bothered by it." Yes I am.

"Are you sure? It's just that I've known Maryam pretty much my whole life and just, I'm so sorry dear. If you want, I'll call the whole thing off."

"Honestly, I don't think I'm ready. I don't even know this guy, and his mom seems to have genuinely nice intentions, but he's so full of himself. I'll have to think about it. And only for you."

She nods. "Right. Okay, then. But if you ever want to just stop with the whole thing, you let me know, okay?" I reply with an okay and she hands me the plate and leaves. After eating, I get dressed and tie my niqab on.

I remember that Zane had stayed behind too to go to Jumuah as I pass by his door. Today is going to be interesting. I'll have to bring a special napkin to make sure that no drool gets on me when the girls start admiring him. A weird feeling occurs in me. Am I slightly jealous? No. Not because of a guy I know nothing about. An arrogant one at that. I mean sure, he is all that and a plate of turkey bacon, but he doesn't have to be so cocky about it. I vanish the thought from my mind. He isn't mine to be thinking about, anyways.

I go into the dining room to find Maryam and Ummi laughing at something that Zane has just said. I sit on the chair farthest from him and can't help but let my gaze wander to him. He has on a traditional keffiyeh and white thobe. I wonder if it's haram (forbidden by Islamic law) to look that good. Stop it Yasmeen.

I avert my gaze to Maryam and catch her smiling at me. "How are you today, Habibti (my beloved)?" She asks.

"I'm fine, alhamdulillah. How are you?"

"I'm great!" She claps her hands together. "Are you guys ready to go to Jumuah prayer?"

We all nod in unison and head out. After everyone is out, I lock the door and head to the car. "Maybe the couple should sit together in the back." Maryam gives Zane and I an all-knowing smile.

"No, Maryam. Are you trying to cause fitnah (trial/temptation)?" Thank you, Ummi. "They'll probably end up kissing each other's faces off by the time that we get there." She tries to hide her laugh as I scowl at her.

"That's not funny." I say with attitude. "You're all here talking about this like it's going to happen. But it won't," I look at my mother. "Not without my acceptance."

"But you will accept, habibti." Maryam smiles.

"Says who?" I turn to her. She continues to annoy me as the time passes.

"Says no one," Ummi cuts in. "But we just have a feeling it will."

I look down at my abaya. "Well joke or not, I'm not sitting next to him."