07.

"The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: "The best of people is the one who lives long and does good."
Narrated by Ahmad and al-Tirmidhi, 110; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Tirmidhi.

This chapter has been edited and changed.

The athan sounds near my ear and I can't help but bolt slightly up from my sleep. I was actually kind of glad that I woke up just then. I was having a dream and it's not a very pleasant one now that I think about it. The dream consisted of Zane and I being married, and I was pregnant. We were talking and actually laughing about baby names. I insisted on it being a boy, whereas he actually insisted on a girl. We came up with all these cute names which I sadly cannot even remember, except one: Haarithah. I don't know why, but it just stuck to me.

Grunting and coming back to reality, I click on the button and the athan ends. I contemplate on waking Fadwah up now or not. I turn and see her crumpled up with the bedsheet, more than comfortable in her sleep. She was actually smiling. I decide to go into the bathroom and make wudhu first. I get off the bed and slowly make my way to the door. I open it slowly and peek my head out into the hall. I look left, then right. No sign of Zane. I think to myself. The coast is clear. And then I walk to the bathroom.

Halfway there and I hear a door open. I turn around quickly and can't exactly see the figure but I run towards the bathroom anyway, my waist-length hair flowing behind me. Oh my Allah, oh my Allah. My heart is racing when I lock the door and slide down to the floor. I put my face in my hands and breathe in and out to slow down my racing heart. What if Zane saw me? Even one strand of hair and I'll cry. I sigh loudly and get up slowly. It's okay Yasmeen. I think to myself. Just make wudhu and check the hallway. But when I did that earlier, I let myself down now didn't I? Ugh.

First my hands, right first, left second, three times each. Then my mouth and nose. Water into the mouth, then nose. Swish the water in my mouth, sniff a little into my nose, and sniff it back out, then spit, three times. Wash my face three times. Right arm, then left arm, three times each. Then wipe over my hair, to the back, then to the front, then wipe my ears; only once. Then wash my feet; right first, left second. Alhamdulillah, I'm done.

Wiping over my face quickly, I open the door and look out into the hallway cautiously. As soon as I peek my head out, I go back into the bathroom. Abort, abort, abort. My mind says. Zane is leaning by the door, typing into his phone. Great. Just. Great. Now what am I supposed to do? 'Zane, move out of the way, dude.' No, no, that sounds stupid. 'Hey um, assalaamu alaykum, can you move please?' What, no. Wow, I'm slow. Just be up front. 'I need to get out of the bathroom and you're in my way.' Great, awesome. Good job, Yasmeen. Thank you, Yasmeen. You mean baarak Allaahu feek. Why, aren't you so sweet for reminding me? Wow, okay I think I'm going crazy.

I look into the mirror at the girl with chocolate brown eyes laying atop a caramel skintoned face and long chocolate brown hair. She smiles at herself. She knows she's pretty, but not all that beautiful. Just pretty. She frowns, and smiles back again. Bole chudiyaan. Bole kangna. The Bollywood song pops into my head and I can't stop it. Haai main ho gyai, teri saajna. I can't help but turn away from the mirror like the female is in Kabhi Khushie Khabi Gham. I'm sure Zane can't hear my singing from outside. The bathroom always was pretty soundproof from what I can remember of it.

I start over again with my back to the mirror and my hair on my left shoulder. Bole chudiyan. Bole kangna. I twist my right arm, left arm on my left hip and turn around slowly to the mirror and shake my imaginary bangles. Haai main ho gayi teri saajna. I touch my shoulder three times and then move my arm to slowly lift it in the air. Tere bin jiyo naiyo lag da main te margaiya. I walk slowly to the sink and mirror and raise my arms up with a smile.