06.

All praises and thanks be to Allah, Who (Alone) created the heavens and the earth, and originated the darkness and the light, yet those who disbelieve hold others as equal with their Lord. (Surah Al Anaam)

"Ummi, I'm home, and I brought Fadwah with me!" I yell out in the wide room space.

"Assalamu Alaykum!" Fadwah says.

"Wa Alaykum salaam, habibti." Ummi comes walking quickly to us and wraps Fadwah into a tight hug. "How've you been?"

"Good, alhamdulillah." Fadwah replies innocently. I roll my eyes at her because she's anything but.

"How's school? Have you found your beloved zawj (husband) yet? You know I can always marry you to my son."

Fadwah turns a deep shade of pink and I can't help but laugh because her and I both know that she's had a crush on my brother since we were all little. He left for college when we were sophomores, though, and she's been 'heartbroken' ever since. He's come to visit since leaving but every time he has, she was never able to come over.

"Right, Ummi Sumayya. Maybe." Fadwah responds, looking down at the floor. Ummi pinches her cheek lovingly and says ma sha Allah before going into the kitchen to prepare dinner.

"Dude," I say as we ascend the staircase to my room. "You should've seen your face. You were as red as a tomato!"

"Really?" She panicked. "Oh my Allah, do you think she saw it?

I shrug. "Maybe. Oh calm down, she probably didn't. But that was seriously priceless."

"Shut up, Yasmeen!"

"Okay, okay!" She hurls a pillow at my head. I duck just in time. "Stop it!" She throws another, then another.

I grab one and throw it straight for her face. "Oof!" She falls on the bed dramatically.

"Yeah! I winnnnnn!"

She groans loudly in defeat and murmurs a whatever. "I don't even like Aalam anymore, anyway."

"Yeah, that's why you blushed when my Ummi mentioned him, because you're just sooo over him." I close my eyes and mimic kissing. "Ooohhh, Aalam, I loooove you. Marry me pleeeaasseee." I laugh when I see her face start to turn red again.

"You're so annoying Yasmeen. I'm leaving." She grabs her bag and starts to head out, not even a hint of a smile on her face.

I run after her before she can reach the door. "No no no. I'm sorryyyy. I was just joking. Please don't leave."

She turns to look at me. "Seriously Yasmeen, I told you, I'm over him. Please stop making jokes about it."

"Okay, okay."

"You promise?"

I murmur a yes.

"Say it." She crosses her arms and looks at me smugly.

"Fine, I promise." I give her a face and go back to sit on my bed, crossing my legs in the process.

She sits down next to me, more than satisfied. I know she isn't over him, but I'll let it go for now.

"I haven't seen the hottie yet."

"Okay first of all, it hasn't even been ten minutes yet. Secondly, aren't you supposed to be having a sit-down in a few days?"

"Yeah, but the Nikah hasn't been put on it yet."

"Please do not make a Beyonce reference ever again."

She laughs and jumps on the bed. "Seriously though, where's Zane?"

My heart races slightly at his name. "How am I supposed to know? I don't keep track on the guy."