Chapter Nine

It was a black dress. It was loose, not tight-fitting. The bodice and skirt weren't separated like most dresses. It was all one piece, simply black, no design, just plain. But the neck-line was high and covered in golden beads. It wasn't flashy, or revealing. It looked perfect for my first party. (picture of Riley in the dress on the side)

"Do you like this one?" Flora asked me. I nodded with a big smile. Finally, I had found my perfect dress.

I called up Chloe. "Hello? Yeah, I found my dress. Where are you?"
"Great! I also found a dress. And um, come to the food court in 5 minutes," she replied.
"Okay," and I hung up.

I paid for the dress. The price was reasonably well. As for shoes, I'm wearing black flats. I would not survive the night in heels.

I made my way to the food court, where Chloe said she would be. I found her sitting on one of the tables in front of Starbucks, texting someone on her phone.

"Wap-tee-do girl," I greeted as I took the seat in front of her. "Your greetings are weird," she stated. I shrugged. "So, show me your 'perfect dress'." I said.
She put on a huge, enthusiastic smile as she took her dress out to show me.

It was a sleeveless dress in lavender purple. It had a deep v-neck, that would definitely show some cleavage. A black belt wrapped around the waist, the skirt flowing down probably went upto a little above her mid-thighs. The neck-line was decorated in clear jewels, and so was the bottom line of the dress.

Then she showed me the back. And, well, it was pretty much backless.

It was a really pretty dress, however. I nodded, "You're gonna slay in it," I commented. She smiled, "Now show me your dress."
I shook my head, and her smile dropped. "Why not?!" she whined. I chuckled, "You'll see me wearing it tonight. Not before that."
She pouted but nonetheless, agreed.

"I'm gonna go order hot chocolate." I said and went upto the register to order. I came back to my seat with my hot chocolate in hand, and Chloe asked me, "So did anyone ask you to the dance yet?" I shook my head, "I told you, no one will, either."
She smiled sympathetically, "Someone will. Don't worry."

"How about you? Anyone special?" I questioned as I raised my brow.
I could see her cheeks getting red as she looked down. "Who is it?" I eagerly asked. "It's- someone," she replied shyly.

"Ohhh Chloe got a date!" I yelled and all heads turned towards me. I smiled sheepishly at the people and muttered some apologies, and turned my attention back to Chloe. "I will start throwing my intimidating threats at you if you don't tell me who it is," I warned.

She scrunched her face. "I think that's the most intimidating threat you've ever given."

Giving her a flat look, I told her to shut up. "Now seriously. Who is it?"

"It's," she stopped there.
I groaned, "Chloe, you tell me now or not, I'm gonna see him on the day of the dance anyways. So it's better if you tell me now, because if I see him that day I will unnecessarily freak out at the spot. It's better to freak out in front you only."

She sighed. "You're right. But promise not to have a major freak-out-session at this place."

Jumping in my seat in excitement, I promised.

"It's Seb."

Cue the screaming, because that's what I was doing. "Oh, my, God! You're with Seb?!" I shrieked. She looked around embarrassedly. "Hush! No I'm not with him, he just asked me to be his date to the dance. He didn't ask me to be his girlfriend or anything."

"Because that's the next step! Ah, I'm so happy for you two. But answer me truthfully, do you like Seb?" I asked.
"Maybe, I- I think I do," she said with a shrug. A huge smile came onto my face, "You totally like him!" I shrieked.

At this point, I didn't care if people were staring, because it didn't matter. I was excited for my best friend.

"Now let's get going." I nodded and got up to leave, as Chloe did the same.

After dropping Chloe off at her house, I started driving towards mine. At a red light, my phone started ringing.

Yeah all I need
Is the rhythm, me and the rhythm
Nothing between
Yeah the rhythm, me and the rhythm
And I know, I know, I know
I can't fight it
I won't, I wo-

"Hello?" I spoke into my phone, and put it on speaker.
"Are you almost home?" Ryan's voice asked from the other side.
"Yeah, almost there."
"Okay, well come soon. We're leaving at 8 and it's almost 7 now."
"Mm hmm" I replied.

In about 5 minutes, I pulled my car into the driveway and entered my house.
"I'm here!" I called out. Ryan walked out to me and took all the bags from my hands and placed it down on my bed. "Get ready," he told me with a nod. "Yeah, just give me a second to rest."
He nodded and walked out of my room. I changed into my pajamas and plopped onto my bed, just laying there for a while.

After about 5 minutes, I finally found the energy to get up. Going to my bathroom, I took a quick shower.

I took a seat on my vanity chair, and started on my makeup. Personally, I hate putting on makeup. It restricts me from being comfortable. But hey, I can't show up at a party looking like a dead being, hence, decided to put some makeup on to look somewhat presentable.

After moisturizing, I put face powder. Applying bronze eyeshadow onto my lids, I made an even line of liquid eyeliner, winging it out at the ends. I lined my lower lash line with black pencil liner, and put some white eyeshadow in the inner corners of my eyes to make myself look more awake. It's a trick I learned from watching an unnecessary amount of makeup tutorials on YouTube.

I put on a light peachy colored lipstick on my lips, and I was done with my makeup.

Grabbing my shopping bags, I walked into my walk-in closet. I put on my black dress for the night and I had totally forgotten about my hair! I decided to do something about my wild hair. It doesn't really help when you have thick, curly hair.

I took off my dress and changed into any random t-shirt and shorts I could find, and slightly straightened my hair, making it look wavy, yet curly, and tied it into a side ponytail.

Fixing my hair, is like trying to win a battle. But nonetheless, I succeeded. I put my dress back on and strapped on my black shoes. I wanted to wear flats, but then I decided to somehow manage with wedges. It was a tiny heel, though.

Right on cue, Ryan's voice yelled through, "Riles, are you done?"
I grabbed my purse as I yelled back, "Yeah, I'll be out in a second!"

I quickly texted Chloe and Holly, Leaving right now.

I opened my door to get out, and saw him leaning on a wall, texting someone on his phone.