Chapter Twelve

"You annoy me to another extent," I complained as we got into the car.
"Well, I need to pee!" he exclaimed.
"And you couldn't use the mall toilet?!" I exasperated.
"They're nasty.." he quietly defended.
I rolled my eyes, "Whatever. Start driving."

After a while of silence, he said. "So I heard there's a school winter dance."
I nodded in response.
"Do you have a date?" he asked.
I looked at him like he grew a second head. "You're kidding, right? No one would ever ask me," I replied with a shrug.
This time, Ryan looked at me like I landed from Saturn. "You're kidding, right? Who wouldn't ask you? You're gorgeous."

At this point, I knew my cheeks were the color of cherries.
But however, I scoffed, "If that were the case, I'd have a line of people just waiting to ask me to the dance."
He looked at me and shrugged, "They're intimidated by you. After all, your threats are pretty scary," he joked.
I rolled my eyes, and however, laughed.

"I'm bored. Do you wanna play 20 questions?" I asked.
"Sure," he said. "You first."

Hmm.. What can I ask him?
"Basic of them all, favorite color?"
"Blue."
"So is mine!" I exclaimed, and we both laughed.

"Past boyfriends?" he asked.
"Nooope," I frowned.
"I bet boys were too 'intimidated' by you to ask you out," he joked again. I playfully smacked his arm, "Do you want me to throw one at you!"
"No, no, please don't," he fake whimpered. I rolled my eyes at him.
"Past girlfriends?"
"None" he answered.

I stared at him a while too long.
Ryan James never had a girlfriend?
Like, ever?
What?
I don't believe this.

"You look like you've heard the Titanic never crashed," he rolled his eyes.
"It's close," I muttered.
He laughed, "What?"
"It's just hard to believe you never had a girlfriend. You're.. Ryan James, lover boy," I explained.
He shrugged, "I never found anyone special."
"Not even now?" I asked, furrowing my eyebrows.
He looked at me, a foreign emotion in his eyes. Before I could figure it out, his eyes turned back on the road.

I gulped and looked down, staring at my grey colored nails. I should re-do them. Maybe a different color.

"So," he said, breaking the silence. "Who are you going to the dance with?"
I licked my dry lips. "I don't know. I don't feel like going."
He glanced at me, and I could see his eyebrows were furrowed. "Why not?"
Should I tell him the reason? Eh, there's nothing to hide.
"I, I don't know. I mean, I know I could always go with my friends, but I don't know. I want to go with a date by my side. I've never had a date, and for some reason I want to experience it. Even if it's just to a dance."

He smiled, "I understand what you mean."
I returned a small smile.

"So, um, can I ask you something?" he asked nervously. I nodded as a reply. "Would you, um, uh, er.." 

"Ryan, just ask. I won't bite you, I promise."
He sighed, "I wanted to ask, that.. Erm, would you, uh, b-be my date? To the dance?" he asked in a little voice, but however, asked.

What he asked made me stop breathing. Okay, that exaggerating a little bit, but it was close.

"You're asking me to the dance? As a date?" I asked, trying to clarify.

He nodded slowly, looking to the road as he was driving.

I smiled. "I'd love to be your date to the dance."
A huge smile broke onto his face, and he breathed a breath of relief.
"For a second, I thought you'd say no."
I chuckled, "There's no reason for me to say no. Specially when you asked so sweetly."
He smirked, oh no, "Or is it because I'm irresistible."
I scowled at him, "I'm done being nice."

He laughed and I couldn't help but laugh along, his laugh and smile is simply contagious.

***

"Oh. My. GOD!" Chloe shrieked as I lost my hearing.
I removed my hands from my ears. "I'm making you pay my hospital bills for my ears."
"Hell with your ears. Ryan James asked you to the dance!"
"My poor ears," I muttered sadly.
"Riles!" she exclaimed as she shook me by the shoulders.
"Yes! I hear you just fine. Ryan James asked me to the dance."
She rolled her eyes, "You're acting like it's an everyday thing. Be excited!"
"Excited about what? That I'm about to receive sharp glares from all the girls at Madison?"
"Because you're Ryan Jame's date. He's been here not a long time, and every girl wants to be his date."
"Exactly."

She groaned. "You're impossible." Her eyes went wide as her face lit up like a Christmas tree. "Have you bought your dress, yet?!"

"Um, I was going to yesterday, but Ryan had to pee so he dragged me home."
She laughed at my explanation, but nonetheless, believed it.

"Get ready. We're going now."
I groaned, "But I'm too lazy!"
"I need to buy my dress, too!" she whined.
I sighed in defeat, and muttered a 'fine' as I got up to throw on some presentable clothes. I'm pretty sure going to the mall in Finding Nemo pajamas is weird, scratch presentable.

***
"Have you told Holly yet?" she asked me.
I shook my head, "I invited her today, but she was busy. I'll have to tell her at school tomorrow. But I'm sure she'll make less of a commotion than you."
She scowled. "It was in the heat of the moment," she defended.
"Whatever you say," I teased.
Her scowl depended and she threw a dress at me saying, "Go try that on."
I nodded and rushed to the dressing rooms.

The dress was extremely pretty. It was an off-white colored lace dress, except even more detailed and sculpted and in-design. The middle area of the back was backless, and the dress was just a little lower at the back than the front.

It even looked really wintry. It was gorgeous.

I put it on and walked out the dressing room to show it to Chloe. As soon as she saw me, she squealed, "It looks perfect!"
I nodded in agreement, "I love it. I'm taking this."

I payed for it at the cash register, and then we moved on to the next store to find Chloe's dress.

We entered a dress-store and we were surrounded by beautiful dresses and gowns.
"Let's look for it here," she said and we searched through racks to find a dress suitable for her.

My eyes caught a beautiful dress, that I thought would look perfect on Chloe.

"Chloe," I called her, and handed her the dress. "Go try it on."
She did as told, and went to the dressing rooms.

After about two minutes, I found myself staring at Chloe and the dress that was on her in stun. She looked beautiful.

The dress was in silver glitter and white. It was backless, just like mine, and went upto a few inches above her knees.

"This is the one," she said in awe, and I agreed without a second thought. That was the one for her.