Chapter Seventeen

Not again, oh please no.

I looked at the man infront of me, memories came flooding back for the second time in two days.

I took off running, I didn't know where, I didn't care. I could hear Ryan's calls for my name, but even that didn't make me stop. I kept running, pushing my legs as fast as they could, to take me anywhere that's far away from him.

I didn't stop until I couldn't breathe anymore. I was already risking my breathing state by running in the cold, and to run so far and fast, I don't know how I would've survived if I had run any further. I panted harder than ever to catch my breath, my lungs hurt. I rested under a tree, just sitting there trying to breathe properly again.

Why's he here? Why's he in this state? I thought he left.. for good. He was taken, imprisoned. Why's he out? This, this isn't right.

"Riley!" a panting Ryan stood infront of me, his hands on his hips, slightly bent over, trying to catch his breath just like me.

I shut my eyes close, and put my head down, bringing my legs upto my chest.

I felt him sit infront of me. "Riley," he sounded like he just jumped off of a plane. "Wh-what's wrong? Who was that..." he paused, unable to speak, "Man."

"Let, let me catch my breath," I said with whatever energy I could muster enough to speak, and slumped back into my previous position. He nodded.

Almost five minutes passed by, I was able to breathe properly. I could tell the same for Ryan.

"Riley, please tell me honestly. Who was that man? You ran away as soon as you saw him."

I sighed, I should tell him.

"He's a person from my past. Actually, he was the person who ruined my childhood."

I could feel his intense gaze on me, and I knew he was waiting for me to go on.
He was leant back on the tree.

"Since I was five years old, my dad had the busiest phase of his life. He worked for a company back then, and often had to go to outer countries. That..man, who you just saw, was my uncle. My dad trusted him to take care of me while I was gone." I gulped. "As days went by, my father wouldn't come home. He called me, and he said he's very busy with this meetings. As days went by, that..man, started abusing me." A tear escaped my eye, and Ryan quickly, but gently, wiped it away. "He would hit me constantly, with his hand, or a stick, wouldn't matter. He would pull my hair, and my arms would be covered in bruises. I was scared to wear short sleeved clothing, I was scared, Ryan." I took a pause. "He was so abusive towards me, and I never figured out why. He would come home drunk, and make me do all the work of the house. I still do chores, but he used to treat me as a maid. This went on for years, until I was nine."

Ryan's hand slid down my hair, "How'd your dad find out?" he asked.

"One day he came home earlier than expected. He later on said that his trip got canceled halfway through for whatever reason. So, he came home and found uncle slapping me across the cheek until it was sore red; and had a gash across it. Dad called the cops on him, and blamed himself for everything. But it was my fault. I should've been brave and told my dad the truth. I was a coward, I was scared, I couldn't help it." Tears escaped my eyes one by one, and it seemed never ending.

Ryan got on his knees and leaned closer to me, his hand wiped away my tears as new ones fell. "You're not, and weren't, a coward. If anything, you're the bravest person I know."

I dived towards him and hugged him tightly, and he pulled me in closer. It felt so good to let all that out to someone, and getting comfort and kind words in return. I knew he wasn't pitying me, he was supporting me.

After some moments, I pulled back. "Thank you for being here for me. No one has been."
He smiled weakly, "I told you this before, Riley. If you ever needed to talk, I'd be right here."

"Wait, if he was imprisoned, why's he out now? I thought he'd be taken in longer?" he asked, confused.
I shook my head, "I have no idea."

"Did you tell your dad about him?"
I shook my head once more, but said nothing.
He pursed his lips, and nodded.

"Hey, at least you're wearing a jacket this time," he joked, trying to lighten the mood. I cracked a smile, "But I had a good day, until that."

"Let's go home, now?" He placed the back of his hand on my forehead, "You still have a fever. Plus, you ran in this cold. Why don't you take care of yourself, Riles?"
"Because you're here to do that," I teased.
He rolled his eyes, and muttered something. "Sorry, what?" I asked. "Nothing," he said.

He got up and brushed the snow off his pants, and held his hand out for me. I gladly took it and stood up, but dizziness hit me again. I gripped onto Ryan's hand to steady myself, and after a moment the dizziness passed.

"What keeps happening to you?" he concernedly asked.
"I feel dizzy, that's all."
"Elaborate. How does it feel?"
Hmm, now, how shall I explain this.
"When this happens, it's basically that I feel dizzy. I have to stop walking or moving or else I feel like I'd fall. My vision becomes completely fuzzy, and I see blackness. It feels like the world is spinning around me, except I can't really see anything."

"That must suck," he sympathized.
I shrugged, "I kind of got used to controlling it."
"Really? How long has this been occurring?"
"As long as I can remember," I answered.

And the sad part, is that, I remember everything.