Chapter Eighteen

"Happy birthday, Riley," she turned to Ryan, "Happy birthday, son."
We got the same wishes from Richard.

My dad got Ryan a black inked pen.

Just kidding!

He got Ryan a whole pack of black inked pens.

Okay, I'm still kidding.

What he really got Ryan is this wicked cool Adidas sweatshirt that has a hood. I wanted it for myself, it looked cool.

Amy and Richard got me a pendant necklace, it looked gorgeous.

Apart from all the presents my friends gave me (and Ryan), last but not least, my dad got me my dream car! I couldn't thank him enough for it, and he was getting pretty annoyed by that.

Right there on the driveway, stood my dream car; my Range Rover.

"Test drive?" I asked Ryan, way too enthusiastically. He grinned, "Lemme just put on the new sweatshirt your dad gave me." I pouted, that piece of clothing caught my eye. I nodded and he headed inside his room to change.

In a minute, we were sitting in my car.

I'm so ready to drive you, I thought as my hands brushed the steering wheel.

"I know you're in love, but can you start driving? Today?" he said, snapping me out of my dream daze.

I scowled, "Let me have my moment with my baby."
He mocked hurt, "You're betraying your old baby, your old car!"
"I don't mind. I mean, I let you drive it."
"I am a gah-reat driver," he protested.
"Eh."

He made a face at my pathetic comeback. 'Eh'.

"So where do you want to go?" I asked.
"Drive around Manhattan?" he suggested.
"That's a great idea, except it's broad daylight, which means traffic. Let's go out in Manhattan at night."
He nodded his head, "You're right, which is surprising. But anyways, anywhere you want to drive around; there will be traffic," he said.
I slumped back in my seat, disappointed. "You're right, which is surprising," I mocked him. Giving me a flat look, he got out of the car. I chuckled to myself and turned the engine off.

***

Tomorrow is the winter dance. I don't think I can sleep tonight, I'm very excited. My dress is ready, my shoes are ready, and Chloe and Holly are coming over so we can get ready together.

The time is now 10 pm, Ryan and I are laying lazily on my bed.

With my phone in my hand, and Ryan just staring at the ceiling, I started whining for the 10th time. "Ryan! I'm going to die if we don't do something. I'm so, damn, bored!" I emphasized the words. He shot me an annoyed look, "I'm bored, too, Riley! What do you want me to do?"

I sank deeper into my pillow, "I don't know," I muttered.

Some more moments of silence passed by, and I was going to be driven crazy, if not already. A question ran across my mind, literally out of nowhere.

"Do you have a past?" the question raced out of my mouth before letting myself think whether it's okay to ask that or not. He looked up at me surprised, "What?"

"You heard me," I said, not wanting to repeat.
He shook his head, "I don't have a past." Well, that was that. The silence came back, and I pouted to myself.

The next thing I knew, my breathing got heavier as my eyes closed, and I was fast asleep.

***

The next day was as busy as it could be.

"Oh my god, Riles. You look stunning!" Chloe squealed as she did a little happy dance for her work. Yes, it is her work. She dressed me up, doing my makeup and hair, and taking care of my accessories.

My hair was done in a loose side ponytail, my bangs flowing out and some loose hair on the side. My shoes were semi-sparkly heels, and the best part was that I didn't feel like a wreck in them. They actually fit comfortably, which I was grateful for.

My makeup wasn't all that much, but my eyeliner was pretty bold, it made my eyes pop out.

"All thanks to you," I smiled. I looked up and down her appearance. She looked gorgeous in her silver-glittered and white dress, and neutral makeup, her hair pin straight, and silver velvet heels.

Holly gawked at me, "I would turn bi for you, Riles."
Chloe and I laughed, "You look amazing," I complimented.

Her dress was a black, kind-of-sequined dress, her lips were a light nude shade, and her eyes were done simply; a cat winged liner with dark shadows.

By the time we three were ready, the time was 8:45 pm. Fifteen minutes until the dance starts. But we didn't want to go as soon as it started, just a little later.

Ryan, Seb, Evan, Nate, and Mason said they'd pick us up at 9, and Daniella and Emily is coming to my house in ten minutes.

Right on time, my doorbell rang, indicating that Daniella and Emily are here. They both looked gorgeous.
Daniella's dress was a simple white dress with lace designing on it, her makeup neutral as ever and her long, dark hair let down, flowing down her back in beachy waves.

Emily's dress was a black sating dress with a sweetheart neckline, it had a floral pattern at the bottom of the dress, which came upto her knees.

(Pictures of all the dress on the side)

We greeted each other as we threw compliments around, and around 9 pm, a honk alarmed us, indicating the boys were here.

We walked out, excited as ever that our dates will be seeing us all dressed up. Truth to be told, the girls looked so much better than me, and I was proud to call them my friends. Also, truth to be told, I was very excited to see Ryan. It's like, whenever there's a special occasion around, like a party, he looks unusually handsome.

I could not have been more right, because his appearance, and one look from him made my heart stop for a mere second.

He was standing, leaning against the car with his arms crossed. The second his eyes fell on me, a thousand emotions flicked through it. His eyes held awe, as did mine.

I gave a smile, at which he looked like he was about to pass out, for some reason. I finally reached him, and he held his hand out for me to hold, which I did. "I can't explain in words how beautiful you look tonight." I swear it felt like the world was spinning, and the giddiness in stomach let me know if its presence.

"You look beautiful, too, Ryan," I said it back. His face turned into a scowl, "Why do you want to hurt my manliness, woman?"
I let out a laugh, at which his face turned into a smile. A breathtaking smile, may I add.

Someone nearby cleared their throat, I looked to my side and saw all my friends standing there, watching Ryan and I. My cheeks flushed as I looked down in embarrassment. "Stop it, guys," I said shyly.