Chapter Seventeen: Revenge

Piper Belle-Harwood.

Revenge

.Seven Years Ago.

"I hate the smell of weed, Ryder," I snapped, glaring over at the rock where Ryder was sitting and smoking.

Ryder rolled his eyes.

"It's too bad I don't give a fuck what you think then, isn't it?"

I glared at my friend and considered throwing my wine bottle at him when a soft voice spoke up.

"Ryder, not now please."

Ryder groaned but stopped smoking at his girlfriend's request.

She was sitting right at the creek, her feet in the water as she watched the setting sun.

"It's beautiful, isn't it?" Zoe spoke, smiling as she snapped photos of the sunset.

"Not as beautiful as this beer is, right now," Alex admitted front where he sat beside me, his left arm around me and his right hand holding a cold beer.

The five of us were taking advantage of the warm spring night and drinking a bit by the creek.

"Charming," I muttered, throwing back the rest of my drink and placing the bottle to the side.

"You love it," Alex stated.

I smiled and reached over to kiss his cheek, mindful of Zoe's flashing camera now directed towards us.

"That I do."

xx

xx

.Present Day.

xx

xx

I was set to leave the hospital three days later.

The same day as Alex's funeral.

My breath hitched at the thought.

Fleur had dropped off a black dress and shoes for me the day before and I stood in my outfit as I solemnly looked out my hospital room window.

My dark hair was pinned back in a high, sleek ponytail and my face was void of makeup as my grey eyes stared out at the mass crowds gathered outside the hospital.

The paparazzi has been camped outside the hospital since I was admitted and, according to my agent, all the major networks and magazines had been calling, dying to get an interview.

No matter how much I wanted to keep this part of my life private, I can't be a famous figure involved in the death of a professional football player and expect everyone to just leave me alone.

No matter how much I desperately wanted the privacy.

I heard the door open and saw Lucas's reflection in the window.

"Listen, Lucas," I started in a low voice, speaking to the man who –at my own request- hadn't come to see me since the first day I was here. "Today isn't...today can't be about me and you. Today is about Alex and I don't...I don't think I can share it with you."

"I'm not here to talk about us, Piper," Lucas's voice was quiet. "I'm here to talk about you." I raised an eyebrow and shook my head as I continued to stare out the window. "And Michael."