Chapter Eleven: Reality

Piper Belle-Harwood.

Reality

.Seven Years Ago.

“Hey Ryder,” I spoke as I lay across my bed, looking up at my blank ceiling. “Why haven’t we ever dated?”

Ryder was sitting at my desk and copying my math homework when I suddenly heard the scribble of his pencil stop.

“Have you been delving into my drug stash?” He accused, whipping his head around to face me as a dark glare took over his features.

I rolled my eyes and leaned up on my elbows so I could look at him.

“No. Shut up. It was serious question.”

Ryder glared at me for another second before his face relaxed and he shrugged.

“I dunno. Well, for starters I don’t like you.” I rolled my eyes. “Also, you’re dating Alex and I’m dating Fleur.”

“Yeah, and obviously I don’t like you like that-”

“Thank God.”

“-And I was only wondering because I feel like you and I are so alike. Like, as much as I hate to admit it, wouldn’t it make more sense for Alex and Fleur to be dating? The Golden Boy and the Girl Next Door.”

Ryder scoffed.

“And what? Put together Callaway Academy’s Queen Bee and the Black Sheep? Please, we’d destroy each other.”

I raised an eyebrow.

“Destroy each other?” I repeated, not totally understanding.

“Come on, Piper. I know you’re a smart girl. Think about it. You and I can’t go a day without wanting to rip each other’s throats out.”

“Pleasant.”

He ignored me and continued.

“That’s why I work with Fleur and you work with Alex. Fleur helps me keep my shit together and Alex…well, Alex make being around you slightly more bearable.”

“If we’re so bad for each other, why do you think we’re still best friends?”

Ryder rolled his eyes.

“Because Alex loves you too much to give you a reality check and tell you when your bitchiness is reaching astronomical levels. I, on the other hand, love taking you down a notch or two. I’m not afraid to start a fight or hurt your feelings.”

My eyes narrowed at the brunette.

“I am not a bitch you fucking asshole.”

“Yeah, whatever. I have math homework to finish copying.”

I rolled my eyes and plopped back down onto my bed while Ryder turned back to our homework.

And that was the end of that.

xx

xx

.Present Day.

xx

xx

“What, Vic?” I mumbled upon answering my phone, not even bothering to hide my bad mood. 

“…Piper.”

I immediately became weary.

“Yes?”