Chapter Nineteen: Standing Up

Piper Belle-Harwood.

Standing Up

.Nineteen Years Ago.

"Please give it back," Fleur's voice was quiet as the older girls giggled and tossed the doll between them.

"I don't know. I kind of like it."

"My Daddy brought it for me from France," Fleur mumbled, tears falling from her eyes as she stared at the ground.

"Oh a French doll? I don't own anything French...do you, Marcie?"

"No, I don't. Fleur, you wouldn't mind if we kept this, right? To start our collection?"

Fleur stayed silent.

"After all," Marice continued. "It's not like it really matters to you, does it? Your parents are super famous and can probably buy you a million dolls from France."

"Yeah but that ones special," Fleur quietly tried. "Me and my sister got matching ones when we were born! They're twins, just like us! Please give it back."

"No way. You and your sister can share that one and Marcie and I can share this one. How does that sound?"

Fleur looked away and swallowed, just about ready to admit defeat.

"Y-yeah, tha-that's oka-"

"Hey!"

"Owe!"

"What are you-OWE!"

"Let go of me!"

Fleur looked over at the sudden outbreak and cries, only to see her doll had fallen to the ground and that Piper pulling on Marcie's hair while Ryder was busy kicking the other girl in the shins and ripping the sleeves of her shirt.

Fleur rushed forward to grab the doll from the ground and watched in astonishment as other children came running to watch the fight. Marcie and her friend were a year old than Fleur, Piper, and Ryder, but they are all about the same size.

Finally, a teacher broke through and pulled Piper off of one of the girls and Ryder off of the other. Marcie and her friend were sobbing as they rested on the ground, their knees scratched, their hair messy, their clothes ripped, and their faces dirty.

"You stay away from my sister!" Piper yelled as the teacher pulled her away, probably to the principal's office.

"Yeah! Leave Fleur alone!" Ryder screamed and he swung his legs and tried to escape the teacher's arms.

Fleur watched in amazement as they were led away and only looked away when she heard the whispers flying around her.

"That was Fleur's sister!"

"Apparently, those girls were bullying Fleur all week."

"They're all going to be in so much trouble!"

"I wish I had a twin sister like Piper."

It was that last comment that made Fleur smile.

Piper had stood up for her when Fleur hadn't been able to do it herself. Piper had been at home all week with a cold and had spent most of recess indoors since she was still a bit sick...but obviously she ran outside the minute she heard her sister was in trouble.

Piper would always be there for Fleur and, for that reason, Fleur would do her best to always be there for Piper as well.

After all, what else were sisters for?