Chapter Twenty-One: Black

Piper Belle-Harwood.

Black

.Seven Years Ago.

"Ugh, Finally," I muttered as Alex came out of the locker room.

"Awe, I thought you liked watching me play football," he whined as he threw an arm around my shoulders.

I sighed as we walked.

"I do. But only in games. Watching your football practices are so boring!"

He laughed.

"Really? You mean you don't learn anything?"

"Pft. What's there to learn? Besides who has the best ass?"

Alex let out another laugh and shook his head.

"You know, if you paid attention, you could learn a valuable lesson. Like, this."

"Like wh –ALEX!"

He laughed and grabbed me before I actually hit the ground.

"What the hell was that?" I asked as I smacked him in the back of the head.

He rolled his eyes.

"I was just having fun, Piper, come on. Look, it's cool though. It works with anyone. If you hit them in the back of the legs right here," he leant down to tap somewhere below the back of my knees, "the person falls right down."

I lifted an eyebrow.

"Oh really?"

He nodded and we started to walk again.

"Of cou –Piper!"

I laughed as he fell to the ground after I kicked him behind his leg in the spot he showed me.

"Last one to the car buys dinner!" I yelled, as I ran for the car and refused to look back.

xx

xx

.Present Day.

xx

xx

I woke up to find my bed empty and a voice coming from the other side of the door.

I threw my robe and, as I walked closer to the door, I recognized the voice outside to be male and aggravated.

Clearly Lucas.

I had my hand on the doorknob and hesitated before instead pressing my ear up against a crack in the door and listening in.

"No, I can't go back to D.C. They already agreed to station me in Connecticut so –but I don't care about the pay raise or the promotion! I have enough fucking money! ...Does it really matter why I don't want to go back? ...Yes, I'm dating that girl." I raised an eyebrow.

We were dating again?

I tuned back into Lucas's angry voice.

"No, I'm not living with her. ...That doesn't matter! I need to stay here with her. ...Why? Why does it matter? ...Well, because she...because I...because I...Damn it."

Lucas pulled the phone away from his face and shoved it into his pocket.

I shifted onto my left foot before I ran my left hand through my hair and pushed open the bedroom door.