Chapter Ten: Besties For Life

.Piper Belle-Harwood.

Besties For Life

.Seven Years Ago.

"Alex! Leave me alone!" I laughed as I ran from the water.

"Piper, baby, come on!" He yelled after me. "You know it's only a matter of minutes before I pull you back in!"

"But it's cold! Go harass Fleur or something! I'm staying up here with Zoe."

The sand clung to my feet as I walked towards Zoe. She was sitting in a beach chair, salt water dripping from her blonde hair as she soaked up the sun.

I heard Fleur's screams as Alex and Ryder tossed her between them and took a seat next to Zoe.

"You have the right idea," I praised my best friend. "All this god forsaken salt water is running my hair."

Zoe laughed.

"Oh, come on, Piper. You have beautiful hair. When you and Alex get married and have kids, they're going to be the most beautiful dark haired, light eyed babies in the history of Callaway," she mused.

I laughed.

"When we get married and have kids?" I teased.

Zoe laughed and gave me a slight shove.

"Please. Everyone knows you two are perfect for each other. You two are my only inspiration! The only reason I haven't given up on true love yet," she continued.

"Zoe, shut up. You're gorgeous and nice and literally perfect." I wasn't lying. Zoe was always thinking of others and she had this impeccable bouncy blonde hair that went nicely with her perfect skin and she had the most life-filled eyes brown eyes I had ever seen. Guys were always asking about her but guys at our school never wanted anything serious and that was the problem. "You're the kind of girl a guy marries and once we're in college...well, something tells me you'll do well there."

Zoe sighed longingly.

"I can only hope, right?"

"Yes! Of course you can! And you better remember that I get to be your Maid-of-Honor!"

"Actually, you'd probably be my Matron-of-Honor -you're marrying Alex, remember? Plus, that way Fleur could be my Maid-of-Honor and wallah! My two best friends have both snagged the most prestigious parts of my wedding party!"

I rolled my eyes and grinned.

"Ummm...obviously. Your bachelorette party will be legendary. Fleur and I are going to be the best Maids and Matrons of honor ever."

"Well, since you're the best bestfriends ever, I guess I wouldn't expect anything less. I'd choose you two over some silly groom any day."

"Besties for life," I declared, laughing.

Zoe nodded.

"For life."

xx

xx

.Present Day.

xx

xx

It took a week for Alex to find out about my dating Lucas and another week for him to hunt me down.

I was sitting in the nearly-empty Gibber's family bar, waiting for Fleur to meet me after her coffee date with Ryder a few blocks away, when someone sat down next to me, a familiar cologne meeting my nose a mere second before his words reached my ears.