Chapter Eight: Happiness of My Own

Piper Belle-Harwood.

Happiness of My Own

.Seven Years Ago.

"Piper, baby, please don't cry," Alex soothed, his strong arms wrapped around me as we sat on the empty bleachers. He was still in his Football Uniform after the annual spring alumni game: on Alumni Weekend, the Varsity team always played a touch football game against the ex-Callaway Academy football players and the current team members always wore their uniforms without the protective gear while the alumni played in suits.

"But it's gonna be so hard, Alex. There are going to be tons of girls and you'll be getting wasted every night and what if you get bored? You're going to be a trillion miles away an-

"You're exaggerating."

"And you're not helping!" I cried, attempting to push away my boyfriend of a year and a half.

Alex sighed and apologized as he pulled me tighter to him. He kissed my hair and ran a soothing hand up and down my back.

"I could never get bored of you, Piper."

"But what about all the girls? I mean, you're not exactly ugly."

"Oh, I know I'm not ugly, thank you." I scowled. "Oh, Piper, lighten up. I love you and only you. Plus, I saw you ogling that one alumni player..."

I blushed red and dug my head further into Alex's chest.

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"Oh yes you do," he sounded slightly put out. "His name is Lucas and graduated three years ago. He's Victoria Gibber's older brother, you know?"

"That blonde girl in my French class? The one dating that hockey guy? What's his name? Tristan or something..."

"So you admit to gazing at Lucas." I blushed even more when I realized he had caught me. "It's fine. Why do you think I tackled him?"

My eyes widened at the memory: the game was obviously touch football, but in the first five or ten minutes of the game, I had watched in disbelief was Alex actually tackled a tall alumni player to the ground. Alex had claimed it was an in-the-moment move and he had simply forgotten it was supposed to only be touch football...

Liar.

"Anyways," Alex continued while I continued to be shocked and slightly elated that he would act on his jealousy like that. "I don't know why you're so worried when I should be freaking out. I mean, you have one of the most well known names in the world. You're beautiful. You know more than something about sports. You're smart. There are going to guys flocking to you left and right and it's not like I'll be there to tackle the ones you're attracted to."

"But why would I want anyone else when I have you?" I cried and I was caught off guard when Alex pulled away, his clear clue eyes beaming and his dark hair a beautiful mess.

"Exactly."

xx

xx

.Present Day.

xx

xx

"Victoria, you can't avoid him forever," I scolded.

She frowned at me.

"Not forever. Just until he gets bored of me."

I lifted an eyebrow at my friend and snuck a look at the tall blond man who was sitting a few stools away, doing some paperwork and content with his glass of water.