Second Grade

"Get your ass out of bed and get ready or I'm leaving you behind! Two minutes!" It was my first day of second grade.

Momma had been a lot meaner to me than she used to be because she blamed me for the new loss of her job. She was always drinking this stuff she called her medicine, and the bottle read whiskey. It made her really mean, and her aim when she hit me got really bad.

Today was the first day of second grade and I was so excited. I wasn't allowed to see Noah over the summer because Momma didn't want me to have friends. I missed him so badly, but I was glad I could see him today.

I tried to get ready as soon as possible, but my achy body always slowed me down. Summer breaks were Momma's favorite time because she could do what she wished to my body without getting in trouble with my teacher.

I was given four days a week to shower and I had used one the night before. I gingerly put my swollen hand through my dress armhole and then moved to brush my teeth. "Eden, I'm leaving you! You can walk."

I rushed up the stairs after picking up my backpack of the twins old school supplies I found throughout the basement. As soon as I got upstairs, I could hear Momma's car pulling out of our driveway.

I sighed and walked outside after running a comb through my curly hair. I knew the way to school like the back of my hand now.

Halfway to the school, I heard a honk and looked up to see a familiar boy with shaggy blonde hair hanging out the back window. "Edith, why are you walking? Don't you gotta mom to take you to school? My momma says get in this car and she'll take you!"

I smiled at Noah and his need to scream everything he said and walked to the black suburban. I didn't stop to think about what Momma would think because I had missed Noah so much.

When I opened the door, I came face to face with two older boys that looked similar to Noah, and another boy in the front seat with brown hair and Noah's blue eyes. In the driver's seat was the most beautiful and kind looking lady I had ever seen. Her long, blonde hair fell to her mid-back and when she turned her kind smile to me, it felt like a sun beam had warmed my body with only her gaze. I could tell she was a wonderful person just by looking at her. Her beautiful, blue eyes matched Noah's and the boy in the front seat.

"Mom, this is Eden!" Noah screamed. At least he actually knew my name. I secretly liked how he always addressed me as Edith.

"The Eden? The girl my son never stops talking about? Should have known you'd be as beautiful as you are! He is his father's son. Look at those eyes and that gorgeous hair! Your daddy is going to need to buy himself a shotgun, huh?" My face turned hot.

Her voice had that southern accent like Noah's but was much more defined. Nobody ever said I was beautiful before, except for Noah. Nobody ever talked about my daddy anymore, either. Especially not what kind of guns he owned. I looked at her silently asking her to explain.

"Mom," Noah groaned. "You've embarrassed her! And Eden doesn't speak. Right, Edith?" I nodded at him and smiled politely to the boys I sat next to.

"This is Joseph, Edith. He's a fifth grader!" I looked at the boy with blonde hair and light brown eyes. He looked the closest in appearance to Noah. He beamed at me and shot his hand out. I flinched, afraid he would hit me. He frowned and retracted his hand.

"Joseph, Edith doesn't like to be touched! I'm the only one allowed!" Noah looked angry at Joseph and I felt bad for making them both upset.

Joseph nodded his head and claimed, "I'm sorry, Eden. I didn't know." He smiled at me and I grinned back.

"Ed, this is Isaiah! He's twelve. Isaiah, this is Eden Morrison." Isaiah waved to me kindly and didn't try to shake my hand like his brother had. I waved back. His eyebrows sunk a little and he looked to be in thought.

"Do you have twin siblings, Eden?" Isaiah asked me with a slightly deep accent. I nodded quickly, surprised he knew. "Gabby and Gabe?" I nodded again. "Oh boy, not them!"

Mrs. Winters gasped, "Isaiah Michael! Why would you say that? Don't be rude!" I could see her in the rearview mirror. She scolded him with love still in her kind eyes. I wished my momma was just like her.

"Momma, the Morrison twins are very rude! They are the bullies in my class and they always push me around. What if Eden is just like that?" I looked at my lap. I don't think I was unkind.

"Edith is very nice! Don't talk about my best friend like that! Edith would never be rude and you have hurt her feelings!" Noah's cheeks turned red and blotchy, a sign he was frustrated or flustered, and if it was possible he yelled louder than normal.

"I know. I didn't mean it. Eden, please forgive me." I stared at my clasped fingers. I nodded my head and smiled shyly at him.

"And last but not least, the best biggest brother in the world, Ezekiel! Ezekiel is a junior at the high school. He's a football player and has a girlfriend!" Ezekiel laughed a booming laugh and smiled an almost infectious smile at me.

"Hello, Eden. Nice to meet you." His voice was extremely deep and it bounced throughout the car, hitting my eardrums with a pleasant version of the accent all of them had. I looked at him and saw the same kind eyes as Mrs. Winters and knew this family was perfect in their own way.

We pulled up to the high school first. Ezekiel climbed out after giving his mother a kiss and his brother's fist bumps. He looked at me and smiled. "Hope to see you soon, Eden!" He walked up the stairs and put his arm around a pretty, brown-haired girl.

After, we moved to the middle school. Isaiah climbed out. "Love you, Mom. Bye boys and Eden." We waved to him.

When we arrived at the elementary school, Joseph jumped out. "Bye Mom, Love you."

Noah wrapped his arms around his mother's neck and squeezed. "Love you forever, Mommy," he claimed. I had never heard so much love being spread around.

I grabbed his arm and he looked into my eyes. I pointed at Mrs. Winters and his face softened. "Mom, Edith says thank you."

It was easier with Noah. Even after a summer apart, we just understood each other.

"Eden, baby, you are welcome at all times. Why don't you ride home with us today and come for milk and cookies? It's a tradition we do every first day of school."

I wanted so bad to go. I nodded my head and jumped out of the vehicle, not thinking about what Momma would say.

If you like my story, please vote!