Caught

"Wake up, bitch. I let you laze around all day yesterday doing fucking nothing so get the hell up and go to school." Momma's big hands engulfed my arms and jerked me out of bed and my sleep.

My body protested, but I obliged, eager to please my momma. I shuffled over to my pile of clothes and picked out a pair of overalls with a long-sleeve, pink shirt. Momma would approve because my body couldn't be seen. Momma always liked me to cover my body. She said my bruises and scars were ugly and that I'd be made fun of. She was right, of course, my body always had many bruises and I didn't want Noah or my other classmates to see.

Even on hot days, I always wore something over my legs and arms. Dresses were my favorite because I could wear tights and still feel a little bit of air on my legs. Once I brushed my hair and teeth and did my best to put my curly hair in a ponytail like Grace, the prettiest girl in our class, I took the "ribbon" I had made out of a strip off of one of Daddy's old t-shirts and tried to tie it in my hair. I walked out the door after finding my momma's van already gone.

I walked slowly in an effort to not pull at my bruises. I didn't know what time it was but I felt like I might not make it in time to school. I hoped my teacher wouldn't be angry.

The black SUV that pulled up beside me with a little blonde boy hanging out the side gave me mixed emotions. I was extremely excited to see Noah after a day at home, but I knew the consequences if Momma or the twins found out.

"Edith, you're alive! I was sure you had disappeared and I'd never see my best friend again. I was so scared I was going to have to befriend Booger Bryan or something."

I smiled and shook my head at Noah, ever the drama queen. Bryan was a student that really liked to pick his boogers (hence the name) and he had been known to wipe them on his friends. "Well, aren't you gonna get in the car? We can't be late to the third day of school!"

I looked up to Mrs. Winters and she smiled expectantly at me along with the other boys in the truck. I hopped into the SUV deciding I'd be more careful and Momma would never know; this time for real. "We missed you yesterday, dear Eden. Noah couldn't stop talking about how lonely he was. Would you like to come for a visit after school?" Mrs. Winter's voice was like honey and I wished she was my mommy. I nodded enthusiastically.

"We can order pizza and watch a movie before you have to go home. Do you think your parents would like to meet me? I could come over and introduce myself." Panic filled my body. I shook my head lightening fast, afraid of what she'd find and how much trouble I'd get in. I gripped Noah's hand hard, conveying that was a very bad idea.

"Ouch, Edith! Mom, I don't think Eden wants you to do that at all." The boys in the car looked at me like I had three heads and Mrs. Winters nodded, looking at me through the rear-view window with very sad, yet kind eyes.

I was embarrassed. My cheeks were hot and my hands shook. The boys got out of the truck at their respective places and waved goodbye to me and kissed their mom. I really hoped they wouldn't think I was weird. I bowed my head as I went to get out of the car, feeling like Mrs. Winters wouldn't like me anymore. She grabbed my hand and asked Noah and Joseph to go ahead.

"Eden, honey, I know it isn't my place and you don't know me that well, but we care about you and I'm forced to worry. Please forgive me if I'm wrong, but I have noticed you aren't as carefree as my sons are. You don't need to jump around us, we won't hurt you. If your home life isn't great, please let us help you. I'm aware we met just recently, but I already know you are a wonderful child." I shook my head. Momma said I was an awful child and didn't deserve to have friends.

I didn't want to believe Mrs. Winters was lying, but my mommy told me I was bad so often, it had to be true. "I'd love to meet your parents and tell them how great of a person you are." My body shook harder than ever. Momma would be mad. Really, really mad.