Home

"Now that you are going home, you won't have people to look after you all the time. It is very important that if you need something, you call someone immediately so that they can help you. We're sending you with hydrocodone that Mrs. Winters knows how to administer. If you start feeling a ton of pain in your abdomen, I need you to come back in so we can check on your liver."

My doctor was informing me about what needed to happen when I was at home. "You will have a lot of medicine to take, mostly antibiotics and painkillers. You'll come for a check-up within the next week. Good luck, Eden, it's been a pleasure helping you get better."

I nodded and thanked the man, practically shaking in my wheelchair. I grabbed Noah's hand and squeezed hard. He had stayed home from school to help me settle in at home and we were both extremely excited. Ever since he walked in, he had been almost jumping around the room.

As Momma signed me out at the front desk, Noah wheeled me out to the black SUV. He lifted me gently, like I weighed nothing, and sat me down in the back seat that was already covered with a blanket for extra cushion. He even went so far as to buckle me into the car. "I'm not a baby, Noah," I admonished him.

He frowned at me. "I was only trying to keep you safe, Edith. What would I do if you forgot to buckle yourself in and you went through the window? That would be awful!"

I giggled at his horrified face. He shut the door to the car and moved to the back where he folded the wheelchair and placed it in the trunk. By then, Momma had come out and started the SUV and we left the parking lot.

When we arrived at my beautiful home, most of the Winters were standing outside waiting. Zeke and Jenna had left already but came by for a hug goodbye. Tears came to my eyes when I saw the huge sign that read "Welcome Home, Eden" in the front yard.

Each of my stand-in brothers held a bouquet of flowers and I full out cried when Noah pulled out his own bouquet of daisies from the trunk.

They helped me out of the car, Joseph grabbing the wheelchair and Isaiah helping him undo all the latches. Noah undid my seatbelt and after maneuvering me to the car door, picked me up in his arms like we were newly married. Joseph and Isaiah rolled their eyes when they realized his intentions. He didn't want to put me in the chair and I had absolutely no objections because it was painful to sit and I could feel his muscles rippling and found that incredibly hot. "Besides," Noah reasoned."It's going to be difficult to get her to her room in a wheelchair."

My room was the same as I had left it aside from a few new pieces. It had one of those tables I had grown accustomed to in the hospital that could go over the bed and could be used for work or meals.

One bedside table was filled with an assortment of medication that I would need to take every day. The other was covered with a laptop, books, and a remote to the tv nestled in a mahogany cabinet. My dresser had all kinds of leggings, oversized t-shirts, and sweatshirts hanging out of. It appeared that was the only thing I'd be wearing for my healing process because I was already wearing that.

Noah carefully placed me in the unturned bed and situated the pillows to have me sit upright. He placed the Overbed desk in position and fussed over my blankets. I pushed him away, saying, "I've got it, Noah, I'm not completely useless."

He looked like a kicked puppy and I felt awful. "I know you aren't useless, Edith. I just really like to help you," he quavered.

I grabbed his hand and squeezed. "I'm sorry, Noah, I know you do. I just don't like feeling so helpless."

He nodded. "I just can't help feeling protective. What movie would you like to watch for our marathon?" I put my pointer finger to my chin as if I hadn't been thinking about it all day. When I told him Harry Potter, he smiled and put it in the DVD player.