Waking Up

I didn't feel sick. I didn't feel pain. I didn't feel anything. I don't remember the last time I was so numb.

I didn't know where I was, but I was laying down in a bed. I could hear a steady beat above my head. It was loud, repetitive, and scary. The only thing that reassured me was the fact that I could feel somebody's hand wrapped around my own. I wanted to see who was holding my hand, but my eyes refused to open.

I heard a soft knock on the door and then footsteps walking into the room I was in. Somebody walked to my bedside and shuffled around while touching various parts of my body as if taking notes and testing. He addressed the person holding my hand. "There's a definite improvement. I suspect Eden will wake up very soon."

"Thank you, Doctor." It sounded like Mrs. Winters. "My family will be so happy to hear of her improvement. Will they be able to see her when she wakes up?" I wished I could squeeze her hand, I'd missed her so much.

My doctor sighed quietly, "Mrs. Winters, Eden will need to go through tests to ensure she is healthy and might not be able to have visitors yet. She has pain medication, but that does not mean she will not be in pain. Also, we must rule out the possibility of memory loss and other cranial complications that may have occurred with her concussion. These cannot be analyzed until she is awake. Eden will need to talk to the detectives as well. It all depends on how she reacts when she wakes up."

"Thank you again, Doctor." Mrs. Winters sounded awfully sad and upset. The door closed and I heard sniffling from beside me. I fell unconscious before I could try and comfort the impossibly kind lady beside me.

❃ ❃ ❃

I was still in my hospital room. The beeps continued relentlessly in my ears. Sounds of footsteps and the distant ring of a cell phone could be heard in the hallway.

An annoying throb found its way behind my eyeballs. I was awake, but I was afraid to open my eyes. I had heard the doctor and didn't want to talk to the detectives. But I knew as soon as I could see them and get my tests over with, I could see Noah and the rest of the Winters.

There were two people in the room talking quietly. "She threw a whiskey bottle at a police officer's head, Ang. I'm sure even if Eden doesn't say anything against her, she'll get in at least a little bit of trouble." I could tell immediately they were talking about my mother.

"But if Eden doesn't say anything, what if they send her back to that horrible place because they don't have strong enough evidence?" her voice shook unsteadily.

"She has a brain injury, love. She's malnourished, hasn't been to school in two weeks, has a huge burn on her thigh, and that's not to mention the countless bruises and scars on her body! That's not self-inflicted! It's obvious she is a victim of child abuse. They can't send her back, they won't. You're in here next to her for a reason. You'll be her foster mom, they won't send her back. I have faith that Eden will, at the very least, write down her answers to the detectives." Mr. Winters' booming voice was passionate and strong. He relaxed me, knowing that he was probably right and I wouldn't be going back to that terrible place.

I wondered what he meant by Mrs. Winters being my foster mom. I hoped with everything I had that she could be my new mommy. I missed the Winters' faces and wanted nothing more than to be able to see my best friend. I knew that as long as my eyes stayed closed, I wouldn't be able to see anybody. But a crippling fear took over my body. Mr. and Mrs. Winters would want me to talk. I knew Momma would hurt me if I spoke to the detectives. I knew Momma would get in trouble and she'd be so mad at me, she might even kill me.

I had to believe that the Winters would protect me and keep me away from her. I had to believe that everything would work out.

I slowly opened my eyes. The dim light in the room was blinding and the dull pain was spreading throughout my head. My room was stark, equipped with a bed, two chairs, a window, a bathroom, and the beeping machine. I was in a bed, covered by a thin, blue blanket. I wore a light, blue gown and could feel socks on my feet. A tube stuck out of my arm, connected to a pole with various bags of liquid. Mr. and Mrs. Winters continued to talk, unaware of my conscious state.