Ice Packs and Scrabble

I sat very still in the Winters' SUV on the way back from school. Noah didn't say much and hadn't since I'd returned from the principal's office. Almost instantly, Mrs. Winters' noticed and used the time between schools to talk to us alone.

"What's the matter, loves? Did something happen at school?"

Noah looked to me as if asking permission to tell his mother. I nodded and, like a switch had been turned, Noah's words exploded out of his mouth.

"Okay, well Eden has been very sad all day and at recess, she didn't want to play so we sat together on the bench. And then some of the boys in my class wanted to play tag and I went because Eden told me to. I should have never left her! And then two really mean girls in our class pushed her, Mom! And she cried and they told her very mean things about her mother! And then at lunch, Jarvis called her a baby and the lunchroom was laughing at her, so I went to punch him in his ugly nose and Eden threw spaghetti at my shirt to get me to stop because she knew I'd get in trouble if I did! And then Mrs. Brady sent Eden to the principal's office and then Eden went and he called her mom! And she's been limping all day and I think Mr. Granville might have hurt her! And she got her folder signed and her mom will get mad about that too!"

Noah's cheeks were red and splotchy and his eyes were glassy and bloodshot. His shoulders lifted up and down and he breathed hard as if trying not to cry. Mrs. Winters sat very still. In the rear-view mirror, I could see her eyebrows had formed a very worried V-shape on her forehead. Her face was too beautiful to look like that. She pulled to the side of the road a little before the middle school and put her head in her hands before turning to the both of us.

"Noah, did Jarvis get in trouble as well? What about the girls that hit her on the playground?"

"No! Mrs. Brady wasn't paying attention. They didn't even get their folders signed, Mom!"

Mrs. Winters turned her head and blinked hard, wiping her eyes with the back of her hand. "Eden, baby, we'll put you in some sweatpants and I'll give you some ice at the house." She looked like she wanted to say more but thought better with a look at Noah.

We picked up the other boys and drove the small distance to the Winters' house. All of the brothers jumped out of the car, but I took a little extra care climbing out. Mrs. Winters waited patiently for me and took my hand as I shuffle-walked inside.

Mrs. Winters helped me into comfortable clothes. She gasped at my bruises that were sure to be spread across my bottom and gently brushed her fingers over them. She grabbed my hands and bent down in front of me after shutting the bedroom door.

"Eden, baby, I want you to listen to what I have to say and don't forget it. I know things are hard right now, I can piece together what you are going through. But, baby girl, I can't do anything to help unless you tell me what's happening. There's only so much I can do to help if you don't let me. Please, love, tell me what you are going through and I will do everything in my power to help you. Just tell me, Eden"

I wanted so desperately to tell her. I wanted her to find a way to get me out of the situation I was in. I even opened my mouth to tell her everything, but a crippling fear gripped my vocal chords and I had no control of my voice. I shook my head, tears filling my eyes.

"I know it's hard, baby. But I can't do anything but love you and help you in every way I can. There's no denying how brave, smart, and strong you are. Just know, whenever you're ready to talk, we can get you out of there quickly. And what happened at school? People are cruel, darling girl. Those girls are jealous of how brilliant, sweet, and beautiful you are. Don't let them get to you." She stood up from her stooped position and held one of her hands out for me to take. "Now, let's go get you an ice pack and sit you on the couch for a movie. We can order pizza or I'll make macaroni."

Before I was taken home, the whole family sat down for a game of Scrabble. It was my favorite game and I often ended up head and head with Mrs. Winters, the boys not standing a chance against our knowledge of words. I adored school and learning and spent most of my free time with my head in advanced books. I would never hate school just because my classmates weren't very nice. It was the place I had met my very best friend. We usually spent games of scrabble with the boys playfully complaining about how they didn't stand a chance against me.

The Winters were always looking for ways to make me happy. I couldn't imagine better people and, although occasionally there were bad days or a squabble or two, they were the perfect family for me. They didn't make me feel different. My classmates thought I was too small, too short, too odd. My family hated everything about me. But the Winters treated me like one of their own.

Momma was waiting for me at the door when I was dropped off at my house. She had a fake smile plastered to her face and she waved enthusiastically at Mrs. Winters. She put her hand on my shoulder and we watched the black  SUV drive off slowly.

"One of these days you're gonna learn your lesson." The pressure on my shoulder increased. "Get inside."

Please vote or comment if you are enjoying my story!