Noah's House

I already knew I was going to enjoy second grade. My teacher was nice and Noah was in my class! I decided that I would be home early enough from Noah's house so Momma wouldn't even know I was gone. She stayed at her friend's house until eight o'clock every night until the twins got home from their extracurricular activities. Yes, she wouldn't find out. I held Noah's hand, waiting on his mom's black suburban. When it pulled up, I looked from left to right to make sure my momma wasn't watching. Joseph stood beside us and leaped in the car first. I followed, deciding nobody at home would know.

"Hi, babies. How was your day?" Mrs. Winters' voice enveloped me in a warm hug as Noah wrapped his arms around her head from the back seat. "Mom, our day was awesome! We're in the same class and our teacher's name is Mrs. Puth. She yelled at Eden's bully and it was awesome! I didn't even get in trouble when I shoved him at recess!"

"Noah, dear, don't shove people. I'm so glad you both are in the same class! Joseph, what about you, honey?" Joseph leaped to the third row of seats and I buckled up beside Noah in the middle.

"My day was great, Mom. My teacher's name is Mrs. Lacey. She's awesome so far! Landry was sick today and can't come over, but he can come when he's better, right?" Mrs. Winters agreed, drove into the middle school parking lot, and pulled into the line of cars. I could see Isaiah standing next to a boy dressed in blue jeans and a polo shirt. They were talking animatedly and when the car parked in front of them, they both walked to it.

Noah jumped to the third row, leaving me alone in the middle so that there was more room. I glared at him for not being next to me and protecting me from the new kid I didn't know. He pouted, "It's only until my house, Edith. And Daniel is really nice. He's Isaiah's best friend. He won't say anything to hurt your feelings, and he won't touch you or I'll kick him in the nuts."

"Noah! Heavens, child, you will be the death of me. I know you mean well, but you cannot kick people! Especially not there!" Joseph looked like he was trying to hold in a laugh as Isaiah and Daniel buckled in and we began driving to the high school.

"Daniel, this is Eden. She's my best friend and she doesn't like to be touched. So don't touch her, or talk to her, or look at her, got it?" I glared harder at Noah. Daniel smiled and said. "Alright, Noah, but please tell her I said 'it's nice to meet you.'"

"Edith, Daniel said it's nice to meet you." I nodded at my best friend and watched the people in the car smile. We pulled up to the high school and I saw Ezekiel with his lips all over that brown haired girl's mouth! Noah groaned and I watched him cover his eyes while the rest of the car laughed at his reaction. "All girls but my Edith are icky!"

Noah was really handsome. Easily the best looking in second grade, his blonde hair and blue eyes complimented his every feature and he was so incredibly kind that all of the girls in my class giggled at everything he said. But Noah didn't like those girls. He always said girls were icky.

I felt honored that even though Noah thought girls were gross, he still chose me for a best friend. I was picked on for being the smallest in the class. Not only was I almost a year younger than everyone, I had to wear clothing sizes that fit five-year-olds and my shoe size was very small because my body had a hard time growing like normal kids my age. Momma always got my clothes from thrift stores a size up because she hated wasting money on me. My best dress that I was wearing had a few holes, but it was very pretty and red and I loved it. The girls at school laughed at me because I didn't look like them. Maybe I'd laugh, too, if I could see me.

When Ezekiel jumped in the car with the brown haired girl, I decided to move to the back with Joseph and Noah. Noah grabbed my hand and we rode in silence after he introduced me to Ezekiel's girlfriend, Jenna. She was beautiful and had an amazing smile. When we arrived in front of a beautiful two-story, brick house, everyone stepped out while I looked on in awe.