Chapter 4- A Broken Team

When I got back to the tower, I was immediately tackled by Starfire as she crushed me in a hug. "Friend, we were so worried about you! We did not see you come home and we did not know what to do!"

I struggled under her grip, but was unable to get out of her alien arms. "Why the hell would you worry about me"

She finally lets go and I was dropped on the ground as Raven, Cyborg, and Beastboy appeared from around the room. "You kind of when a little crazy last night." Raven says. "It made us nervous that you would do someone stupid."

Yeah, all I did was become friends with a villain and pretty much betray the whole team. Sure... nothing stupid at all. "I just needed a chance to clear my head after... everything that happened."

My heart seemed to break all over again as I was reminded yet again about my powers. Red X really did help me forget about my problems for a while and just have fun, but I guess those kinds of feeling aren't meant to last.

"You also may have broke our leader." Cyborg adds, scratching be back of his head. "After you left, we had our fair share of words with Robin."

"What the hell did you say to him?" I was fairly interested in the fact that Robin was finally broken, but disappointed that it wasn't by me that did it. "Was it something I said?"

"You said something we never had the guts to say!" Beastboy ran up to my side and put his hand on my shoulder. "We were finally able to stand up to him."

"Stop it! Robin did not do anything to hurt us and he did not mean to treat us the way he did!" Star leaped to her friends aid. "He just has a big heart."

Raven lets out a sarcastic snort. "Yeah, that's why he always uses us in schemes to help the villains, without even considering the dangers he puts us in."

Star looked as if she wanted to argue, but was cut off by Cyborg. "Don't even bother standing up for him, Star, because our minds can't be changed."

It was about time these heros actually got some meat on their bones. "Where is Bird  Bo... I mean, Wonder Boy, now?" Phew, close one.

Cyborg points to a door that led into some hallways I had never been down before. "In his evidence room, or something like that. He's just in the middle of one of his moods."

"And how long do those last?" I ask as everyone begins to disperse again.

Beastboy shrugs. "Couple years, I guess."

I fought to scoff as I just stood by the windows, watching as they broke apart again. This team seemed as delicate as a vase, and right now, they were smashed to pieces on a floor while bad guys just trampled all over them. I thought they were this amazing group, put together well and was able to take down any challenge, but it seems as if I was wrong.

"Are you sure you're ok?" I jump as Ravens voice snaps me back to reality and I turn to see her still standing to my side. "I know that it has to be bothering you, so don't try and lie."

I narrowed my eyes. "I said it before, I'm ok. Its not like I used my powers for many things, its just facing my pack that worries me."

She tilts her head, studying me like I was some mysterious creature. "Why do you care so much about what they think? Are they seriously so judgmental that they can't look past one simple thing."

"Its not simple!" I growled. "It may seem like nothing to you, but when your entire reputation revolves around this one thing, it can be hard to cope with when its taken away!"

She kept badgering me. "But why is it such a big deal!"

"Because I've got nothing else to show for!" It slipped from my mouth, and I instantly wished I could take it back.

Her expression became unreadable as she just stared at me for a good few minutes. I could see questions bubbling in her brain, so I just started talking. "You may see the black fur as a sign of strength, but it is anything but good for me and my reputation."

She blinks. "I thought you were the top dog, the coolest one in the pack. Your one of the only black furred wolves existing, how can that be bad?"

"I wish it was like that." My stomach lurched as memories came flooding into my head. "Half Breed, mutt, traitor, freak, monster, witch! I've heard them all, Rave. You know what the black fur really means? It means your blood line is a damn jacked up mess! Things from birthmarks to unnatural fur color, little characteristics that scream 'impure blood!' It all means that your not right in the head! It means something is wrong with you!"

"What does this have to do with anything?" She asked. "I know your mother was human, but that doesn't explain why your weak powers are so bad! Its not like you lost them!"

"It just humiliating!" I change to my wolf and take a seat on the ground, leaning against the windows. "My powers were the only thing that made me cool, the one good thing that came out from all the shit in my DNA. That was what saved me from getting eaten in my pack, the thought that I could one day, be the most powerful! It's what created the fear that protected me."

"You still can be powerful." She says, her voice beginning to calm. "You've survived your whole life with your powers like this? How is it any different now?"

"It's not different, but my pack won't see it like that!" I knew that they would keep picking at this scab until they made it bleed. "It's never stopped them before."

"Does it really bother you that badly?" My pelt bristled at another question thrown my way. "You actually sound afraid."

I let out a sarcastic laugh. "You try being beaten by wolves twice your age and shoved in the mud. Try walking through pack with others snapping at your tail behind you and shouting harsh words." This made her fall quiet again. "What I went through before is what makes me strong now,and I am not about to screw up everything I've worked for and go back to the looser I was!"

Silence suddenly met us and I just sat there, staring at my paws on the ground. She still didn't speak, and it gave me an uncomfortable feelings as I wondered what she could be thinking. I just told her something that I didn't really share with people often, and something I hated admitting. It was just hard for people to understand that even the hardcore have struggled at some point in their life.

After a session of awkward silence, I finally asked if she could just leave me alone for a while and after a moment of hesitation, she just shrugged and walked back to the couch she was sitting on before, picking up her book to the place she stopped at.

Changing to my human, I slide down to the ground and leaned my back against the windows, feeling the warm sun rays through the glass. Looking to make sure no one was watching, I reach into my pocket and run my fingers along the star.

The metal surface was warm from my body heat, and I felt a strong feeling come over me every time I touched it. He was the only one who truly understood me, and who I could be myself around without getting nagged to watch my demon. I had only been around him for one night and I felt like I could see forever.