Chapter 10- Believe In Me

It had taken hours of conversation and countless sessions of nothing but yelling back and forth, but finally, at 7:07 that night, me and Robin both came out of that dusty Evidence Room and made our way down to the others.

It was clear that they all had been listening, because they were all bunched in around the door as we appeared. Their gazes hardened when they seen Wonder Boy behind me, but when a low growl sounded from my throat, they instantly backed down. I'm pretty sure they knew better than to question me when I was in my wolf form.

"Sit!" I ordered, gesturing with my tail to the couch. At first, they remained standing, but all it took was another growl and they had their asses were seated before I could say Wolvbade.

Cyborg, out of all of them, looked most annoyed. "Why did you call us over here?" He eyes Robin. "Hopefully it isn't to apologize."

"If it is, you're going to shut your trap and listen." I shoved my muzzle in his face. "I am having no more of this shit I use to take from you, or anybody on this damn team, understand?"

He nods his head frantically, and with one final glance at the others, no one else tried to interject.

I walk back to the front of the couch where Robin stood. "Thanks." He whispered before looking back at the team. "And I did come to say... I'm sorry. After a long, and thorough conversation with Averi, I finally see what to do now."

"No need to explain, we heard everything." Raven muttered under her breath. She sat in the couch with her arms crossed and her body turned at an angle, like just the look of Robin would make her vomit.

He scratches the back of his head. "I'm sorry Raven, I should never have put you at risk like I did. You could have been killed and..."

"You think I'm mad because I was almost killed?" She snaps her head around to face him, her eyes flaring. "We almost die every day, what made you think that dying was what bothered me? I'm mad because I trusted you! I went into that cave believing in you, believing that everything would be ok, but now I feel as if I can't rely on you to tell me if my cloaks on backwards!"

He takes a long breath as Raven relaxed her muscles and leaned back in her seat. "I know." He says. "I let you all down, and I can't blame you for hating me. It's my job to help people, but I guess I just forgot about the ones who I should be protecting the most. I've been doing it for so long, and it hurts me to think about other times when you were put in situations like that, and I never even bothered to care."

The room fell silent as he began walking towards the door. "Robin, wait!" Starfire suddenly jumps up from the couch and rushes to stop him. She sets her hand in his shoulder, and just her soft touch made him come to a stop. "We do not hate you, because you are our friend. We just find it frustrating when you attempt to save the bad people and push us to the side."

"Just frustrated?" Cyborg mumbled, making Robin shoot him a death glare over Stars shoulder.

After a few seconds, he just lifelessly shakes his head. "I know what I did, and I can't say how much I regret it." He fiddles with his glove, trying to avoid eye contact. "But if you are willing to give me another chance, I will show you that I can be the leader you deserve."

"But you are the leader we deserve!" She exclaims, grabbing his head and lifting his gaze up to hers. "I understand that you want to help everybody, even the people who do not seem to deserve it. All we ask of you is to keep in mind who are of most importance to you, us or the people we fight."

I see his hands glide up to rest on hers. "Starfire, you guys have always been the most important to me, and I always consider the dangers before putting someone in a dangerous situation." He pauses. "I just always thought you guys could handle it and never had a problem."

"Dude, it's not like we can handle it." Cyborg interjects. "It would just be better if you consulted the entire team first before throwing us into one of your hair brained schemes. We wanna help people too, there's just a better way in going at it."

I never expected these humans to have such convincing arguments. "I guess I should have came to you guys a whole lot sooner." Robin laughs, his tone now much lighter than before. "So... am I forgiven, or at least out of the doghouse for the moment?"

They all share a quick glance between each other before Beastboy leaps from the couch and to Robin, where he gives him a hard slap on the back. "I forgive you Robin." He says. "You know me, I'm to lazy to hold a grudge."

I muffled a laugh as the others followed the Goblin. "Yeah, I guess we're cool." Cyborg says. "Just make sure it doesn't happen again, because I'm not afraid to knock you back down to size like before."

That just made me scoff. I was the one to put him in his place, the others just piled on after me. Fenris, stop stealing my spotlight, dumbass.

Raven was the only one who still seemed doubtful, but I could have already guessed that she would be hard to reel back in. "I'll forgive you." She hissed between her teeth. "But that doesn't mean you have my full trust back."

They all were pulled suddenly into a group hug by Starfire, leaving me as the awkward chic to the side. Not even caring if it was rude, I cleared my throat to catch their attention. "I don't wanna be the one to break up this heartwarming moment..." I paused. "Wait, I don't care. Just get over here, because I've got something to say."

They filed back to their seats again, Robin along with them, and when they turned their full attention to me, I began. "Now this is going to be the hardest thing I've ever had to say in front of a bunch of earthlings." Their gazes all turned curious, and unlike them, I did not want to continue. "I have decided to give this whole hero deal a chance."

Shocked expressions covered their faces, and that's just when I figured out how many of them actually believed that I would fail, which just made me even more determined. Not angry thought, which even surprised myself. "I've been frustrated lately because you haven't been listening to me, but I now realize that it is also I that must listen to what others are telling me. You say that I can change, and that you believe in me. It is my own mistake that I chose to ignore the support and just let the demon control my life." I turn back to Robin. "I am ready to accept the help, but my agreement also comes with a few regulations."

I was relieved that they actually seemed to be listening, and it gave me hope that they could understand. "From now on, you must never refer to me, or see me as a savage again. Deny all you want, you still see me as a dangerous predator, which I am not. I am a regular person just like you guys, as it has always been." Their eyes wandered between each other as I spoke. "Secondly, any advice I give, you should take into consideration because like it or not, I am more experienced and more skilled. I come from a home where we are bred to work together, so I know what it's like to work as a team. It requires full trust, dedication, and the willingness to put others first. With a good bit of work, and a lot of drinks, I think I can make this work."

I paused, letting them catch up. "I will be treated as equal as anyone else on this team, and if you agree to these rules, we will get along just fine." My eyes skim over everyone, and the next words just slid off my tongue like it was natural. "I want to live to see my adult years, and that means I will do whatever it takes to get my life back, and protect the ones I care about. I can learn to believe in myself, but that can't happen unless you believe in me also."