Chapter 7- The Guy She Deserves

As we sat there, she never tried to move to another position. She was sitting on her hip, leaning against my shoulder as she talked, and I found myself not minding. It wasn't like an intimate position, trust me, just 2 friends leaning against each other. I think...

The sky was beginning to turn orange as we finally stood to part ways. I could tell she wasn't drunk, but the drink did give her a boost, like candy to a toddler.

"Gotta go deal with the hero's again." She complained, walking to the edge with her wings open. "I wonder if the baby bird has come out of his room yet."

"He will come out in probably a year, you know, after he's scolded himself and kicked his own ass." This was not the first time I have dealt with Bird Boy, and I knew he wouldn't forgive himself easily.

I looked back at Averi to find her staring out over the city, like she had just drifted into deep thought. The feathers on her wings ruffled in the wind, and this time, I couldn't tear my gaze away.

I suddenly just stopped fighting it, and let everything I have been thinking over these last few days just flow out. She was beautiful, the most gorgeous girl I had ever seen. Her strength was hot to me, and her independence, the ability to survive on her own, really sent a buzz through my body.

Might as well just admit it, I've got nothing to lose. It didn't matter what I felt though, because I knew that it was best to not get too close, and to just remain friends. From what I heard, her kind hated humans and if they found her in a relationship with one, they might just kill us both.

Not to mention, I could never clear my conscious up enough to deserve someone as amazing as her. Like I said before, I don't deserve a happy ending, because I've ruined so many others. Plus she's been through enough in her life, and I'm not about to add another weight for her to carry.

"X." I was snapped back to reality when I heard her voice. I could feel my face grow red as I realized that I had been staring straight at her, and it was clear that she noticed. "You ok?"

I shook my head and finally forced myself to look away. "Yeah, I'm just tired."

The corner of her mouth rises in a smile as she hops down from the wall and begins walking closer to me. "Well, if you stare at me hard enough, you'll put a hole in my head."

"One can only hope." I jeered, making her give me a playful glare.

This mood only lasted for a second, then she turned serious again. "Ok." She mutters. "I'm about to tell you something that's going to make me sound out of my mind, and feel free to tell me if I'm crazy, but I may..." She pauses, clenching her teeth like she was about to spit out something rotten. "I may actually be considering staying."

My heart just suddenly leaped, and I felt like slapping myself. "I told you Princess, the humans can grow on you." I couldn't fight the chuckle, but I had to force myself not to sound to interested. "Why the change of heart?"

Her eyes narrowed, but then it was like she just gave in. "Maybe because if I go back, then it would be letting everybody down." She fiddles with a strand of hair that had fallen in front of her eyes. "Everyone is expecting me to give it my all, and I don't think I could go back and see the disappointment on their faces."

I was confused. "Then why were you so set on going back before?"

"Because I was hot headed." She hisses, mostly to herself. "My kind already hates humans enough, hell we think their these weak, pathetic, narrow minded aliens who only care about themselves! What would my pack think if they knew I had actually accepted the earthlings ways? I've just built up my status to where I'm finally valued for once in my life and I do not want to throw that away just because my life is put on the line."

I had never heard words so pure as to what I was hearing now, even if it didn't seem like it. "You really care about your pack, don't you?" I asked. "So much that you have put your own life in danger just so you wouldn't risk letting them down."

I was shocked when she actually fell silent for a good while, fiddling with her hands and seeming to search for the right words to reply with. "I just don't know what I would do if I had to actually go back and see the looks on their faces when they realized I failed." Her eyes stayed glued to the ground as she spoke. After another few seconds, she looks back up at me. "It's freaky you know, being ready to die at such a young age."

She then turned away, and I actually felt my own heart aching. She had no idea how much I understood what she was feeling, but the hardest thing was that I couldn't tell her about it. It would just ruin everything.

I heave a long sigh, daring to walk forward and set a comforting hand on her shoulder, something I never did to anybody. Usually, I'm not the comforting person, I'm the one who is the loudmouth and just tells what needs to be heard. "You just have to stop doubting yourself." I say simply, making her turn to meet my gaze. "There's an old cheesy saying on earth about how if you don't believe then it can never happen. You say you don't care, but you just keep lying to yourself so you don't have to admit you actually want to change."

Her mouth finally curves into a smile. "Seems like you have me all figured out X Man." She walks closer, making my stomach do a full 360 flip. "I can't keep hiding just because I'm afraid of looking weak. I could say that I didn't care right now, deny everything you said, but I guess if I did, it would make me a lier."

I let out an unnoticeable breath of relief. "So I guess I'm still going to be stuck with you, since your now calling this place home?"

I see her shake her head. "Oh this place isn't even close to being my home. No matter what I choose, I will always be thinking of my pack." Her eyes suddenly grow mischievous as she turns to me again. "And I think that me sticking around isn't exactly something you dread as much as you let on."

"Whatever you want to tell yourself, Princess." I just smirked, trying to play the conversation off. "You sure your up for the challenge though? I mean, being a hero is pretty boring, following rules and listening to that annoying voice of Robin all day. If I was in your situation, I would shoot myself."

She shrugs. "At least I'll still have you to go and rob a jewelry store with every now and then."

She turns toward to the edge of the roof again, and I was left staring blindly after her. Her bravery shocked me, the willpower to make tough decisions like this was something I didn't, and never would, possess. Someone so tough and strong would never fall for a pathetic street rat like me and I now accepted that. Seeing how she made the decision to actually try and turn herself around, I knew I would never be able to match up to the guy she deserved, because unlike her, I was to afraid to try.

She gives me one last glance over the shoulder before opening her large, black wings and making a full leap over the edge. "I'll see you later, X Man!"  I hear her howl in the wind as she reappears, now heading through the buildings and towards Titans Tower.

After a few seconds, she changes to her wolf form and suddenly shoots straight upward, cutting backflips and corkscrews through the thin layer of fog that covered the city.

That was the moment I realized it. Seeing her in the sky, shouting like nothing else mattered in the world but that moment, I could tell that she was going to be ok as a hero. This was what she needed, and what she deserved.

You don't know how much I wished I could have been a part of it all, but like I've said before, I'll just screw it up like I always have.