Chapter 9- Seeing Clearly

Robins's P.O.V

I sat at my desk, staring a black computer screen as the light flickered in the lamp next to my head. I would have gotten another bulb to make it stop, but right now the only thing I cared about was what I did to my team.

They hate me, and for what, so I can live up to my title as hero and help this one girl who was forced against her will to come here? She might not even care about how she may have broken this team, but maybe it's what I deserved after I almost got Raven killed.

As deep into thought as I was, I almost jumped out of my cape who I heard a knock at the door. I instantly gather myself and straighten my back, trying to look a bit decent, even though I looked like a rat had nested in my hair. "Who is it?"

"Friend Robin, it is me." I heard Starfire say from the hall. "Please tell me you are ok! Come out so I can see you!"

I could practically feel the worry coming from her, but I still refused to open the door. The night Averi blew up in me, I could barely look Starfire in the eyes, to scared to face what I deserved. She feared me when she learned what I did, and she had every right in the world to be afraid. "Not now, Star." I reply, forcing my voice not to crack. "I'll come out when I feel ready."

I didn't hear movement for a second, but then a loud sob came from her as she took off down the halls, leaving me alone again. I felt terrible for doing that to Star, but I just couldn't face them yet.

Not 10 minutes passed before I heard another pair of footprints, and I just let out an annoyed growl. Couldn't they just leave me alone?

A knock came, way harder than before. That was not Starfire. "Wonder Boy!" I heard Averi's voice outside. "I got something to say to you."

Her tone was rough, like she was a bully about to shove a nerd into a locker. "I don't have time for more words." I say, burying my face in my arms. "Haven't you hurt me enough? My team is against me, and now you can do what ever you want! What more do you need?"

She was silent for a second. "It's not about that."

The feeling of a threat left her presence, and she was now sounding sincere. I let out a long, raspy breath before raising my head and combing my fingers through my spiky hair. "It's unlocked." I call.

I stayed with my back facing the door as it slides open and I hear her pause in a coughing fit from all the dust in the air. "My Fenris, do you humans ever clean?"

I sighed. "Did you just come in here to complain?" She changed to her human form in the middle of my sentence, never even trying to interject. "Or did the others put you up to this? Did they ask you to flush me out?"

She smirks, slowly shaking her head. "No, Its just me. I have my own reason for being here."

I watch as her eyes scan the room, studying all of the posters and newspaper clipping that lined the walls. She comes to my desk and begins running her fingers along the dusty edges of the computer. "I know I'm the last person you would want to see right now."

"You think?" I interrupted, clenching my hands into fists. "You have ruined this team! Thanks to you, we now work together as well as a broken record! They won't even look at me, because they think I'm a traitor!"

"And you think that's my fault." She spat, and it was more of a statement rather than a question. "Robin, I only said what needed to be heard, and they finally built up enough guts to stand up for themselves. Whatever your blaming on me, only happened because you can't figure out what side you're on."

"I know what side I'm on!" I argue. "I'm a good guy! Why can't you understand that?"

Suddenly, I felt her arm on my chest as she spins me around and pins me to the wall behind us. I felt her breath on my cheek as her lips curled to reveal a bone shilling snarl. "I would not say that if I were you, Bird Boy."

When she said the nickname, I had to stop myself from saying anything. It sounded way to familiar, like I've been called that before, but that was impossible. I haven't seen that person in years.

I hold up my hands to her arm, trying to relieve some of the pressure. "Can we just talk about this?" I suggested. "Without my violence!"

She hesitated for a second, but then slowly lowered her arm and let me up from the wall. "What's the point in talking if what you say is never heard?" She rubs her forehead, baring her teeth together like she was trying not to scream. "Everything I've said, Robin, has been ignored! Anything I try and suggest, any advice I give, isn't even acknowledged! You said you didn't see me as a savage, but I still can't help but feel that that's what I am in this world, a filthy, blood craving murderer!"

I opened my mouth to respond, but just couldn't get any words out. Her eyes grew very pained all of a sudden, and she had to turn away, like she was trying not to cry. I guess I never actually thought that someone so tough and hardcore could feel sadness. I never thought she could be vulnerable.

She is right though, it was all my fault that this was happening to my team. I wanted to help this girl, but everything I've done has just made her worse. I've only been focused on the bad things about her when a true hero would only see the good. How can I even call myself a hero with everything I have did over the past few weeks, or even over the past few years even!

Now that I think about it, I've done it so much, putting the bad guys before the heroes. How could I have been so stupid!

"I..." I hesitated to look her in the eyes, but when I did, I seen emotions I had never noticed before. It looked different, like she was beginning to see everything differently. "I'm sorry. All I wanted to do was to help you, but I've only seemed to ruin everything."

I seen the corner of her mouth rise to a smile. "I would say you've ruined everything." She sucks in a long, deep breath. "Because if you did, I wouldn't be saying this now."

Curiously tugged at my gut, and I nodded for her to continue. Her lips quivered as she searched for the right words, but when she finally found them, even I couldn't believe it. "I'm ready to take this seriously now."