Breaking Walls

The day had come for Mike and I to put our plans in motion. We had already broken down the barriers at our high school, now it was time to break them down between our neighborhoods. No one knew how things would turn out on this day. For a little peace and for people to love who they secretly been loving behind closed doors, we would make news across the city. "You ready for this ma? this will be big and people will be upset, but remember we doing this for a good cause. I wont let nothing happen to you...just look out for me." He looked into my eyes as he grabbed my hand. "I love you Stephanie and I thank you for everything that you have done for me." My eyes began watering at Mike's words. It finally hit that Mike loved me for who I was and not what I could offer. A smile covered my face as I stared back at him. "You don't have to thank me Mike, I'm always going to look out for you." Mike leaned over and planted a soft kiss on my lips. "I have been wanting to do that for a long time." he confessed. Mike was my best friend and crossing that line with him would have made things awkward. Things were fine how they were and I would do anything to jeopardize our friendship. "Mike I ca--", planting his finger over my lips Mike stared off. "Don't worry Steph..it wont happen again." We knew what we had and neither one of us wanted to destroy the strong bond we had.

I stepped outside to scan the neighborhood. Everyone was out for the local end of the school year parade. Mike and I stepped off my porch holding hands. I grabbed his hand tighter as we made our way to the corner. The black folk looked as if me and Mike had committed the biggest sin. Looking around at the people who looked at us, I planted a soft kiss on Mikes cheek. Grabbing my waist we pretend to be two people in love. What we expected to happen did. The Hispanics caught wind of what was going down and they mobbed together. They were out for Mike's ass, just as the blacks were out for me. "Stephanie go ahead and in front of the float. If we can get the attention of the people then our plan is going right." The serious look on Mike's face let me know that we were really onto something. "Mike I don't want to leave you." smiling as hard as he could, Mike knew I was loyal and leaving him could be a death sentence. "Don't worry about me Ms Señora, Voy a estar bien."

Looking around I took my chances and ran in front of the float. The people around paused and turned their attention on me. The music scratched as the DJ pointed to the mob of people walking down the street. The Hispanics were a pact, they were know to stick together. Mike came from behind the float and grabbed my hand. "You're not alone in this niña." At that moment I was proud of mike. He would go against his own people to prove a point. He wanted to let his people know that we are equal to love whoever we wanted.

The blacks began throwing food and water bottles at us. Mike looked down at me to make sure that I was ok. It didn't matter that they were throwing things, and telling me how I disappointed them. We were about to make history in the bay area. The Hispanics spewed their words of hatred. People spit at us, cursed at us, even jumped in our faces. Yet we stood proud. The hispanics began pulling away at Mike. Words of hate were exchanged amongst the communities. The hispanics began "No nos gusta ese tipo".

Their words cut me deep. The hate that the Hispanics had for the blacks had finally come out. The blacks mobbed together chanting their own words of hate. I looked around in shame as I seen fights break out and people throwing things from opposite sides of the streets. Tears rolled down Mike's face as the reality set in. We would probably never be equal. "Don't cry Mike..this isn't over." Before I could say anything else to Mike I felt a hand grab mines.

Gabby grabbed my hand "Don't worry sis, you aren't alone in this." A sense of relief fell over me. Gabby's boyfriend grabbed her hand, and to my surprise he was black. He kissed Gabby on the cheek to assure her he wasn't leaving her side. Mike smiled as we all stood hand in hand. Priscilla grabbed Mike's hand, they stood side by side. Priscilla loved Mike and she was willing to risk everything in the Italian community to support our movement.

More people grabbed hands. It was amazing to see all the interracial couples. The Italians stood behind Priscilla in support. The blacks and Hispanics continued fighting one another. So bad I wished Antonio could have been there. If it was a time I need him, I need him now. The more people joined hands, the more the noise quieted down. There were more people within our communities that were a couple, then we had known. They were all too ashamed to stand out.

News cameras were all over. Nothing like this had ever happened in the bay area. The news was only good for finding out who got shot earlier in the week. This was something new for news anchor's, something exciting. Couple's began showing public display of affection. They were no longer ashamed. Before I knew everyone around me was hugging, kissing, or staring into each other's eyes. My heart melted to see that they no longer had to hide.

Scanning around I seen Mateo standing on the side giving me a thumbs up. His wife walked up to him and held his hand. Pulling the Cuban flag out of his pocket he began waving it around. It was almost like a peace offering. Tears fell from my face. We were all finally free. I started making my way back home, when I felt something pull me back. My knight in shinning armor Antonio had come to my rescue. He grabbed my face and began kissing me. "Usted no siempre tienen que preocuparse ma. I'm always going to be here." Wherever Antonio was he had come just in time. Everyone had there love's and mines was right there when I didn't even know it.

Mike and I had just made history, and from that day forward the bay had no barriers..at least when it came to love.