five

i finished most of my work and reread the job application over and over, contemplating whether or not i should hire another person. i mean, i did fire the girl before, but what harm could it do having one less worker?

i'm not cheap, it's just that i'm going to have to rerun a program for that person and make others busy with training that one individual. my phone starts to ring and i answer it in almost an instant.

"hello?" i speak.

maybe i should have read the caller id, but i relax once i hear a familiar voice that i've missed across the country.

"hi, honey." my dad says from the other side of the line.

my day brightens and i smile to myself.

"hi, dad!" i exclaim, getting all happy.

"your mother and i are in town for the next two days and we were wondering if you and braxton would like to go to dinner tomorrow night."

i narrow my eyes a little even though he can't see me, "you know she's not my real mother right?"

"i know." he sighs, probably reminiscing when my actual mother was still alive and well.

"how could you say that? lilian is practically younger than me."

"fine, your step mother."

"nope, still won't take it. that's gross. just say add on, but sure. braxton and i would love to join you and lilian for dinner tomorrow night." i tell him.

i'm positive that braxton wouldn't mind tagging along. he adores my father and is up to do anything with and for me. just as i am to him.

"alright, we're eating at nobu. i will call you later tonight and tomorrow to check in. love you."

before i can reply, he's hung up on me and i internally and inwardly groan. i don't mind my dad's girlfriend, lilian, it's just that she's really close to my age and she tries too hard to act like a best friend.

i know that jack's tried to hit on her a few times while we were together. i didn't pay much attention or care because he claimed that he 'loved' me so much. not thinking much of it anymore, i look at the clock and realize that i should go and get braxton.

i make my way out of my office, not bothering to look for jack because he's probably skipping around somewhere. i walk to braxton's room to wait for him. it's 12:05 and he hasn't came to get me.

as i quietly walk into the office, he's laughing and chatting with david and having a good time. i know it's not business related because they mentioned a sport. i subtly shake my head, smiling.

i should be weirded out that my current boyfriend is getting along with my ex father in law. they both notice me after a few more seconds of laughing.

"hello, again, octavia." david greets me.

"hi." i reply.

"ready for lunch?" braxton asks me and i nod.

david looks down at the watch on his wrist, "oh, it's lunch time already. have you seen jack anywhere?" he looks directly at me as he interrogates.