six

they are still shiny and appealing to the eye. i rub the metals between my fingers and eye the perfectly cut diamond on what used to be mine. they're still beautiful, not gonna lie.

i set his suit jacket down on the chair carefully, looking out of my office door to see if there are any incoming people. i'm sure that i look extremely suspicious and secretive right now.

i take them with me as i walk around my desk and sit in my chair. confusion floods my mind like a tidal wave. i set them down, examining the jewelry that lays in front of me. jack really has no boundaries.

both of them are engraved with symbolic words and our wedding date. i almost scoff at how funny it is. five years ago, we could've sworn that we were in love and planning for a baby.

but now look where we are. we're divorced and i have a boyfriend. it really is insane how quickly things can change. my pa renters the room and i quickly cover the rings up with a slip of paper.

she counts the paper that she holds and then sets them neatly down in front of me.

"thank you." i say to her.

she smiles, "you're welcome."

"you can take another break right now. i don't have anything for you to do at the moment." i lie, making up some type of excuse.

i just need her to leave the room for a little bit as i try and figure out why the hell jack carries our rings in his pocket. she nods her head and swiftly exits the room. i paper clip my printed copies and set them aside, along with that slip of paper.

the rings are unveiled once more and i narrow my eyes, as if that'll help me with a solution and conclusion.

"did you want a coffee or anything?" she inquires, startling me.

my pa peeps her head inside of my office and i smack my hand down on the rings. wow, what a sly way to hide something.

she gasps, "are you okay?" she asks, looking at me with obvious concern written all over her face.

i shake my head vigorously, "no." i smile. "i don't need anything. thank you."

"alright." she drags out, exiting my room for good.

i check my hand to see if i actually cut myself. i release my held breath and massage the part of my palm that smacked straight down on the diamond.

jack's pov

i sit in this conference room, bored out of my fucking mind. well, the only image in my mind is my fucking ex wife. whom i got rid of. she should be the last person that i think of.

my right hand moves to my chest pocket to look for the rings. my eyes widen and i abruptly stand up from my chair, panicking. fuck. i left my damn jacket at her office.

how could my dad not tell me?! how could i have not noticed my fucking jacket missing? inwardly groaning, i look around and then lay my eyes on my dad.

"jack?" my dad says to me.

"i forgot my jacket at octavia's." i run a hand through my hair in shock. "i'm going to go get it really quick."

"you can't. we're twenty minutes away-"

i cut him off, "i will be back."

with that, i storm out of the building and get into my car. i hope it's still where i left it in braxton's office. i step firmly down on the gas, trying to get to my destination as quick as possible.