eight

"jack." i whimper, shaking my head. "don't say that."

his fists relax at his sides from their clenched and balled positions. he looks at me, his angry expression softening almost instantly. his worlds make me contemplate whether or not he's telling me the truth.

"it's true. i'm really regretting ever letting you go." he tells me, lowering his voice and running a hand down his face in exhaustion.

i bite my top lip, looking at the ground for a second, "you can't do that." i say quietly. "you can't get rid of me and then confess your feelings to me four years later when i've been doing fine."

he opens his mouth to say something, but shuts it quickly. he is loss for words and i feel a little satisfied and accomplished. i shake my head once more before going on.

"when we were married, you never gave me the benefit of the doubt." i tell him, still a little hurt because he just let me go as if i meant nothing to him in the first place.

he was my everything, but i clearly wasn't his. brushing off the thought, i listen to his reply.

"i know and i'm sorry, baby." he glances at me with an apologetic expression that once would have me jump into his arms forgiving him instantly.

i close my eyes for a brief moment, sighing, "don't call me that, please."

he used to always call me that- he used it more than my actual name- but now braxton calls me that endearment and i don't know how to feel.

"can we talk sometime? over dinner, though?" he questions and i look at him bewildered.

now that's very inappropriate. who does he think he is? i can't go out with my ex husband, especially if i have a boyfriend.

"are you-"

"asking you on a date? yes." he announces, confirming. "but don't think of it as a date if you don't want to. imagine it as a business meeting."

"you can't do that. i have a boyfriend." i remind him.

his eyebrows pinch together, "you've been telling me what i can't do a lot lately." he tilts his head to the side.

"just telling you how it is." i murmur, my anger suddenly evaporating.

"it's demanding and hot." he adds, a hint of a smirk playing on his face.

jack and i have an uncomfortable stare down for what seems like hours until he's the first one to speak up. why i haven't left this room already, i have no idea. it's as if my feet and screwed into the ground.

"do you love him?" he interrogates.

my eyebrows raise, "what?" i ask, startled by his question.

"braxton." he clarifies and then continues. "do you love him?"

"of course i do." i answer.

he winces at my reply and doesn't bother disguising the hurt that comes across his face. he shouldn't even be sad or surprised. i press my lips together and hold back a defeated sigh.

i really hate seeing anyone sad and the last thing i need right now is to be weak. i can't give him any signs of wanting him back because i don't. i'm doing extremely well right now.

"if you'll excuse me, i'm going to grab some lunch." i say, touching the doorknob to leave.

"i'll go with you." jack mumbles, making me freeze.

i swiftly turn to look at him, "do you really think that's a good idea?"

by now, i don't sound snobby and attitudinal. my switch needs to turn back on because from him point of view, i probably look so weak. damn it.