chapter 3

"Can I kiss you?" He asked, his voice soft and his blue eyes vulnerable.

I nodded shaking and he leaned in. Our lips touched and our lips moved in sync.

Every thing was perfect in that moment. The sun was going down and the trees of the forest shielded us from eyes of the village.

It was just me and him, and God it felt right.

A wild rabbit then ran across my boot and I jumped biting Dakota's lip.

I blushed in embarrassment. He laughed and took my hand.

"Dont worry I'll protect you. " he said.

"From myself or the woodland creatures?" I laughed,my light blonde hair blowing in the breeze.

He kissed me again.

" From everything. "

I was ripped out of my flash back when an angry Dakota shoved me, causing my back to hit the wall violently.

"Keep your hands off me. " I snapped. The boy glaring in front of me smirked.

"Yeah that's not what you were saying six months ago. " Dakota snapped

Apparently my presence at school just aggravated him.

I wasn't having it.

Before I could help myself, my fist went flying into his face.

But he wasn't phased. He didn't flinch. Didn't look hurt.

"You suck at throwing a punch. " was all he said, his eyes flashing gold.

"Kota, your eyes..."

Something clicked in Dakota and he stormed off. Leaving school early.

I chased after him but once I was outside, Dakota was already out of site. Having gone only god knows where.

I shook my head in anger and kicked rocks as I walked off.

I needed to be alone. I needed to sulk. In one place that felt right.

I eventually found myself in the clearing.

What used to be our clearing.

I dropped to my knees and I finally took off my sweater. Revealing the fresh set of bruises that my father had given me the night before.

I punched the ground out of anger and I let a few tears escape.
For everything. For all the pain.

I just wanted to disappear. I wanted to wither into nothing.

I had nothing to live for. So why was I even here..

With that thought, I pulled a pocket knife I kept hidden in my boot.

It was the first gift the old Dakota had ever given me.

Now itd me the thing that gave me eternal slumber.

I sobbed quietly and leaned against a tree.

I took a deep breathe and brought the blade to my wrist.

I was done living, just to feel pain.

Just as I applied pressure, a twig snapped from in front of me.

I snapped my eyes up to see a growling wolf just two yards away.

It walked closer. A menacing air around the black creature and its ice blue eyes.

But I couldn't feel fear. I couldn't feel a thing.

"What? You want to kill me?" I snapped. " get in line. "

Tears streamed down my face and I was going to finish the job on my wrist.

Until the wolf jumped in front of me, causing me drop the knife in surprise.

Before I could retrieve it, the wolf grabbed it in its mouth, huffed and ran off into the woods.

It returned minutes later, without the knife.

"Are you kidding me!" I growled and it simply sat in front of Me and stared.

I ran a frustrated hand through my hair and sobbed lightly. "I just want to die. Please, just let me die. "

Something must of stirred in the wolf, because it scooted closer to me and licked my tears. I smiled slightly and pushed the wolf away, only to have it lick me more.

It froze noticing my arms, and then suddenly it whimpered loudly as it licked my purple bruises.

"My dad.. I-I think it makes him feel Better when he beats me. " I sniffled. "When he starves me. Beats me to the ground. "

The wolf let out a low snarl and I flinched.

I laid down on the grass and the wolf curled up next to me keeping me warm. Never taking its eyes off me.

My sad eyes stated upon the greying afternoon sky. It would be raining soon. 

"I really hate my father. " I said softly. "He says I deserve to be beaten.  For a past relationship. With a boy who doesn't love me anymore."

The wolf whimpered and licked my pointy nose.

"Dont worry mutt. You'll disappear soon and I'll kill myself. And then, then I won't have to deal with my father. Or anyone."

The wolf whimpered again but this pain, this heartache had taken a number one me.

Soon I  fell into a spiraling slumber, letting the strange wolf comfort me.

I was met by darkness, my thoughts never leaving me in peace.