chapter 4

Once I woke up, it was night. The air had gotten cold.

But it was ok.

Because someone had draped a knit wool blanket around me and even built a tiny fire to keep me warm.

I sat up, noticing the absence of the strange wolf.

I began to panic, worrying about his well being.

Was he ok?

Did he do this?

I shook my head and got up. I began to make my way home, taking the blanket with me.

Half way home, a wolf emerged from a bundle of trees.

I smiled, until realizing..

This wasn't the wolf that had kept me company just hours before.

No. This red eyed, Brown beast had its head low and teeth bared as it snarled.

And it was walking in my direction.

It licked its lips and was ready to pounce,

When a black blur crashed into it knocking it off its feet.

The wolf.

My wolf

The wolf from earlier. It stood in front of me in a protective stance, keeping the vicious brown wolf away from me.

My fingers curled up in the black wolf's fur and I couldn't help but fear for it.

"Please be careful" I whispered barely audible. But the wolf must of heard, because it nodded slightly.
And attacked the wolf that was threatening me.

That's when it clicked.

The black wolf wasn't a wild animal.

It was a werewolf.

Last time a werewolf was in the village dozens of innocent people died, even Dakota. Or so everyone had thought.

But this wolf was different.

My head began to spin, there was a werewolf in town. but it hadn't hurt me.

If anything, it kept Me warm and saved me...twice in one night.

I brought my attention back to the snarling wolves, it was easy to see the black wolf was more skilled, stronger. He was deadly.

He bit the other wolf by the neck and slammed him into a tree. The brown wolf then growled, but ran off. Counting its blessings.

I ran to the black wolf.

"Are you ok?" I asked. Scanning it for injuries. It simply stared.

"I know what you are. " I said. "I May not know who you are and I don't care. You protected me. Your secret is safe with me, You have my word. " I ran my hand through its fur and realized he had been cut.

"Youre bleeding. " I said sadly. "Does it hurt?"

The wolf shook his head no.

"I assume you were the one that left the blanket?" I asked.

He nodded again.

I tried to put it around him for warmth but the wolf backed up and shook its head no.

He grabbed the blanket into his mouth and put it to my chest. He sat down.

"You want me to keep it. " I said and he licked my cheek in response.

I smiled and stood up.

"I have to get home, I don't want to upset my father. "

The wolf snarled at the mention of him. I kissed his nose and began to make my way home.

"Please be safe. " whispered hoping he'd hear and I picked up my pace trying go avoid the wrath of my father.

Within a short period of time, I arrived home. Being past midnight I knew the beating that awaited me.

But once I got home..

My father was in his chair sulking.

He had a broken nose, a busted lip and bruises all along his face. My lips parted in surprise and I stared agape.

"Father.."

He gave Me a dirty look. " I was attacked by a man. "

"Did you see his face?" I asked.

He all but growled. "No. But he swore that If I ever laid hands on you again he'd slit my throat. "

The blood in my veins froze.

I didn't know If it was the sudden realization the wolf had done this to my father...

Or the knowledge that the wolf was capable of slitting a man's throat remorselessly.

"Maybe you should listen to him." was all I said and I made my way to my bedroom. I got undressed and collapsed into my bed, staring at the dirty ceiling.

I couldn't get the wolf out of my head.

I couldn't get the werewolf. Out of my head.