3 Jealousy

Mia spent more and more time in charge of the body they shared. She never faltered in her direction. Even when hunger drove her to hunt she stayed on track. Despite the danger, they seldom slept. Even when the rain pelted them they continue to move.

They mourned there mate. But Emma mourned with a desperation she never thought possible. Desperately she crawled deeper and deeper into her mind searching for solace in her memories.

It was all there. The memories felt more real than the earth under her paws. She found that his scent was still fresh and alive there. His touch felt just as enticing. His voice washed over her.

After a month in wolf form, Emma was almost a memory. Her wolf was the driving force behind their shared body. Mia tried to pull her from her stupor but Emma fought to stay embedded in the comfort of memories.

A sharp pain stung her paw. The pads of her paws were cracked, broken and bleeding. A small sliver of wood had found its way into one of those bleeding cracks. Understanding the pain Emma retreated again. Mia hardly noticed her return or her retreat seconds later.

The paw too tender to continue Mia curled up under the low branches of a tree. She tried to communicate with her human but Emma refused to acknowledge her.

Emma didn't seem to understand that Mia grieved too. The only thing that provoked a reaction from her was the mention of the pup. Even then her sorrow was overwhelming.

They had left the human city 12 days ago. According to the information, she had gathered she thought they had to be at least half way there.

Over the next week, she felt Emma's mental state plummet even farther. Worse it was effecting Mia.

The more feral her human became the more her wild nature surfaced.

By the time she caught the first scent of the pack, her wild nature had almost overwhelmed her.

She froze. Her wild nature screamed DANGER. Her God-given sentient nature tried to overpower the wild nature.

They stood there, frozen, for a long moment. Each nature trying to take control. Emma was so lost in her head Mia wondered if she even felt the struggle.

The wild nature and the sentient nature both had the same goal. They both wanted to protect the pup. They simply didn't agree on how.

Mia pushed forward. Thankfully the sentient part of her nature gained control.

The wild nature still hovered in her consciousness. Its fear of the Lycans caused Mia's fur to ripple.

It took almost everything she had to stay in control as two guards on patrol burst from the bushes.

The wild nature wanted to both attack and to flee. Mia forced the body into a position of submission despite the wild nature's protest.

The Lycans looked at each other then at her. The smaller one shifted into a female. Mia felt a spark of recognition but then it was gone.

"Is it a wolf born?" The woman asked the male just before he shifted.

"It doesn't smell like a Lycan." He said studying Mia and scenting the air.

Mia whined. She was confused. Why didn't they recognize her wolf form? Why did they not recognize her scent? Why would they think she didn't smell of Lycan?

The female took s few steps to the left. "Michael." She said in shock. She now had a view of Mia's swollen belly.

He jerked a look around, expecting danger. "What?"

"She's pregnant and her feet are bleeding."

Mia looked down. Yes. There was blood on her paws. She had become used to the pain.

The male moved. Mia's wild side let out a growl. Michael froze and lifted a brow at the strange wolf.

"The Alpha is on his way. Ion is with him." The woman said.

The man, Michael, took a step forward. The wolf didn't move but issued a low growl. She remained in a submissive pose but still dared to growl. She trespassed on Lycan territory. She was injured, pregnant and obviously malnourished.

"That's the oddest thing I've ever seen." The woman said.

The wolf didn't growl when she moved forward to stand by Michael.

Michael grunted. Stacey grinned triumphantly at him.

"See she likes me." She said. The wolf whined. Stacey frowned.

The wolf moved backward. She still crouched down.

"Let's move back and give her some room." She said.

"We're in the middle of nowhere. How much room does she need?" He asked. But when Stacey pulled gently they moved back a good ten feet.

"I don't think she's going anywhere, Micheal."

They watched as the female settled down. She curled up protectively around her unborn pup.

Her eyes kept them in view. She watched everything. Her ears shifted as she listened to sounds of the forest around them.

Michael noticed that she was panting slightly. Her ribs could be seen under her fur. Her slimness only accented her swollen belly.

Eyes on them the wolf licked at the blood on one of her paws.

"I feel so sorry for her," Stacey whispered.

Michael didn't comment. He could feel his mates emotions and his own. She knew he felt the same thing.

She reached out and took her hand in his. For some reason this caused the wolf to growl. She eyed them, anger clear in her eyes.

Mia noticed the contact and felt a wave of emotions. These two were mates. She knew it was ridiculous but she felt jealous. Sorrow fueled her anger. Why should they have each other?

Her mate was dead. Her human was lost in memories. Her wild nature wanted to consume her. Her body hurt. Hunger gnawed at her belly. Her muscles trembled in exhaustion. She had not felt her pup move inside her. Her pup, her last link to her dead mate, didn't move as it should. She had denied this for weeks.

Why should these two have what she was denied?

It was not the wild nature or Emma that growled at the couple. It was Mia.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~