10 In the Clearing

Shenita lay in front of the cabin watching two young Lycans play a game of checkers on a small wooden board about ten feet from her. A female Lycan, most likely the mother to one or both of the girls, sat on one side watching the game.

"One, two, crown me." One of the youngsters shouted as she made a move.

"That's not fair." The smaller child complained.

"Follow the rules, T." The woman ordered softly.

Everyone jerked to look at the wolf who now stood, growling. Her gaze fixed on Elder Vivian Snider and Elder Paul Thomas.

The Alpha hid his satisfaction at the wolfs display of disrespect to the Elders. He wasn't too happy with the Elders at that moment. His Beta, Gamma, Delta, and Epsilon all had similar expressions of disinterest. He felt a bit of contempt for the Elders coming from the Delta and Epsilon. The Beta and Gamma held tighter reins on their emotions.

Both Elders froze.

He mind-linked the woman and told her to leave with the children. He also informed her their guest were Elders.

The young mother gathered the children, leaving the game on the ground, and ushered them past the arriving group.

"Excuse us." She said out loud as she passed. Alpha, is everything okay? Shenita isn't in trouble, is she? She mind-linked. Her concern was clear in the mental link.

I'm not sure. He told her honestly. I'll link the pack as soon as I know what's going on.

Elder Thomas took a step farther into the clearing. The wolf growled louder but took a step back.

"I think we should wait here for my mate and the pack doctor," Alpha said.

Elder Thomas ignored him. "We only wish to speak to you a minute." He said to the wolf taking another step.

The wolf growled at him and snapped her jaws on the air.

Emma couldn't explain the pounding of her heart. All the lycans in the pack carried an aura of strength, the Alpha's and the Luna's had been the strongest. Now, these two others arrived and their auras felt crushingly heavy to Emma.

The strength pressed on Emma's mind like a physical weight.

She had felt uneasy all day, even her chest, back, and abdominal muscles had been tense. Watching the children had eased her discomfort for a short time. Now the adrenaline pumping through her veins made the abdominal pressure seem like a forgotten memory.

The male Lycan took another step into her clearing. Her muscles clenched. She turned and went into her den. It was the only place no Lycan came. Their scent was faint here. She felt safe here.

But she knew nothing of these new lycans. She feared they could invade her den, her space. They had invaded her clearing. She looked around. Her treasures were here.

Her abdomen clenched at the thought of the strangers leaving their scent on her things. That would not happen. She stood guard just inside the entrance.

The heard the Alpha. Her brain finally concentrating on his words.

"No, you don't. I told you it's her space. You can't enter it. Your presence in the clearing is invasive."

"You seem to forget who you are speaking to, Alpha. You will let us pass."

"No disrespect intended, Elder Snider, but the well-being of this pack, the land and every inhabitant of it falls to this packs leaders." The Beta said. His tone dripped with respect but also detection.

"This wolf is not a member of your pack, Beta."

"But she resides on the pack land and that makes her our responsibility." The Alpha said. He was careful not to insinuate that they felt she was in danger from the Elders. That would not be received well, true or not.

"Ahh, Elders." The Luna called from the creek. Everyone turned to look at her. "I'm delighted you chose to visit." She smiled brightly as she crossed the space. "We've had an interesting few months, as I'm sure you're aware."

She walked past the Elders, focused on her mate, placed a hand on his shoulder and stretched her body to kiss him lightly on the lips.

"What have I missed?" She asked directing the question to everyone. Gordon crossed the creek and closed the space between them.

"They want to go in the den to see the wolf." The Epsilon said.

"No," Gordon said, flatly. It was a statement, neither respectful or disrespectful. "Shenita is not doing well. Her health is precarious. Entering her den may stress her. It could cause her or her pup harm." He explained. He ignored the look of anger directed at him by both Elders.

"Have you forgotten, Alpha," Elder Snider asked turning to face him directly, "that you contacted the Council in regards to this matter?"

"I have not. I requested information and received none. However, you've shown up on our pack territory unannounced, unexpected and so far given nothing. It is customary for visits from the council to be scheduled in advance." He said looking directly into Elder Snider's eyes.

"Elders, I hope you will forgive us our behavior." The Luna said looking between the Elders. "We've grown quite fond of Shenita over the last months. Her health and well-being, as well as that of the pup, concern us." She told them, her voice filled with honest emotion.

"Elders, I mean no disrespect, but I spent the past three months caring for this wolf. I have watched, helplessly, as her condition becomes worse. Her pup grows healthy. But in all honesty, I doubt whether Shenita is strong enough to survive the birth." Gordon admitted. The Luna looked at him as if the news were, in fact, new to her.

Alpha felt bad as he felt a wave of sadness from his mate over the mate link. He should have told her. He reached out and wrapped an arm around her. Gently he drew her closer. She settled against his side.

"Very well. As I suspect we'll get nowhere otherwise I'll let you know what we suspect." Elder Snider said with a hint of respect and apprehension.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N

Please don't forget to vote on this chapter. Hit the share icon and spread the word so others can find and read it too. Leave a comment and tell me what you think. It only takes a few moments to show your support.