9 Elder Relations

From that moment on children were constantly in the wolfs clearing. The she-wolf would watch them play in the creek, in the grass, in the trees but they never entered her den. Frequently they brought her gifts of food.

The wolf made it clear the children were welcome. She even allowed them to touch her. The same went for some of the women of the pack.

Her reaction to the men was the opposite. The wolf growled at them if they entered the clearing. Outside of the clearing, she remained silent unless they were in touching distance.

Gordon grew concerned as the week's passed away and the wolf looked more starved. She spent more and more time in her den or the clearing. She seldom ventured to explore the territory as she had. He knew that some pack members, not just the children, gave her food. He suspected that some made extra portions of meat just for that purpose.

The Luna had delivered her pup just days after Casey's rescue. The new pup had promptly been named Blake and then introduced to the pack seven days later.

Unshifted children were the first to mention the leaders' new pup to the wolf after the meeting. The wolf promptly visited the Alpha and Luna. The visit was very short.

After the incident with Casey, the Luna had no qualms about an introduction of the wolf and pup. The wolf obviously adored children, all children.

According to the Alpha, who admitted he didn't feel as lenient as his mate, the interaction was short and calm. He was delighted however to learn his mates' attraction to the wolf had dimmed. She still wanted the best for the wolf but now it felt more natural than it had.

The wolf simply nuzzled the pup with her snout. She blinked. She took a long moment to sniff the baby then rubbed her head against the infant's leg with a soft whine. She nodded at the Luna and exited the room. She had completely ignored the Alpha.

He was not pleased with being ignored. If the wolf had been a Lucan he would have demanded respect and submission in his present.

"Strange." The Luna murmured almost to herself. The Alpha looked at her in question. "The - draw to the wolf isn't as intense as before and I just noticed." She admitted to him. "Don't get me wrong, I still care about her. But I don't feel like I can't breathe at the thought of her leaving our territory."

The wolf had spent days after in her den. She ventured out only when the children came and called her at the door.

Gordon had checked her pup weekly. The pup thrived even as its mother deteriorated.

None of other North American Packs had any history of a wolf born in their territory for anything other than a small pack passing through on the edges of the territory. In most cases, a wolf born avoided lycans.

The council had still not returned the Alpha's call. He hadn't labeled the information as urgent so they dealt with higher ranking problems first. Gordon had explained the wolfs deterioration to the Alpha. The Alpha had agreed to call the council again and request a more urgent response. Gordon hoped they found out some helpful information.

Three days after the Alpha called the council for a second time, two council members flew in from the North American Council headquarters.

Elder Vivian Snider and Elder Paul Thomas arrived without warning. Their rental, a gray Chrysler, turned off the main road onto the packs land. The centuries spotted the car and alerted the Alpha. They followed the car down the drive.

The Alpha stood outside the main pack house. His Beta, Gamma, Delta, and Epsilon stood on either side of him.

The car pulled to a stop and the driver exited. He nodded very briefly to the five lycans, moved to the back door and helped a female exit. Next, he rounded the car and helped the male.

Elder Vivian Snider and Elder Paul Thomas they introduced themselves. The driver had returned to the car.

"Elders, we were unaware of your intended arrival." The Alpha said after the introductions had been completed.

"We wish to see the wolf-born." Elder Thomas said without preamble or explanation.

"Of course." Alpha nodded and indicated that they should follow him. "You should be aware that she doesn't like the company of males. She doesn't like to be touched."

"Your last request documented an incident of a child that the wolf-born found in an old well. Could you explain the incident more clearly?" Elder Snider formed it as a request but they all knew it wasn't.

"Shenita returned to the pack hospital before noon. She frightened one of the pack nurses leaving for lunch. Her behavior was erratic. I ordered our pack doctor to follow her when she finally ran towards the treeline. Others followed. Within minutes they heard the cries of the child."

"So essentially she led you to the child?" Elder Snider asked as they neared the hospital.

"Yes. She stayed as we freed the girl, Casey. Casey's mother sat with her as Dr. Gordon examined Casey and prepared her for transport."

"Hmm." Elder Thomas mumbled uncharacteristically. Elder Snider sent him a scathing look.

"What?" The Alpha asked as he stopped moving and looked questioningly between them. He watched as it was obvious that they were communicating with a mind link.

"Do you-you obviously know something that I should know about this wolf." He told them.

Alphas and Lunas had more leeway in speaking their minds when dealing with the Elders. But he was pushing that fine line.

"We know nothing with certainty at this time Alpha." Elder Thomas told him with vague assurance.

"But you suspect - "

"Do you have any female members of your pack who have disappeared in the last six months?" Elder Snider asked suddenly.

"No. But I fail to see how that impacts the situation with the wolf-born." Again he skirted the fine line of respect between Alpha and Elder relations.

"None at all?" She demanded.

"No. The only female pack members to leave the pack was a year ago. She found her mate and joined his pack." His tone had become more neutral as he mentally questioned the actions of the Elders. He didn't like the idea that they knew more then they were saying and attempting to ask irrelevant questions to stall him.

"And this female has family members still in this pack?"

"A sister, niece, and mother, I believe."

"No mate in-laws? Who are the sister and mother? Have they had contact with the wolf?" Elder Snider demanded.

"Um," Alpha lifted his brow. "The girl, Casey, is Claire Brooks, daughter. They live with her mother.

Emma Brooks is the ex-packmate." He clarified.

"I believe it is time you take us to see this wolf, Alpha." Elder Snider insisted.

He mind-linked his mate and Gordon and asked them to meet with them in the wolfs clearing.

His mate said she needed to find someone to watch the babe and Gordon said he was just finishing up with a patient.