7 In The Deep Dark

When the unit was set up Gordon went in to inform the wolf-born.

She lay on her pallet a few leftover barbeque deer ribs stripped down to the bone. As soon as he entered she looked up and pulled back her lips in a silent warning.

"Uh-huh. Remember what we talked about." She immediately stopped. "That's better. I came to tell you your free to leave."

There was no doubt in his mind that she understood him. She stood up and looked at the door. Then she looked at him as if to ask "Why didn't you open the door?"

"Yes, well." He said. Some of his interaction with her was slightly unnerving. "There's more actually." He cleared his throat. "The Luna - and Alpha - had a den of sorts set up for you. You are technically free to leave the territory at any time. However, were I you, I would accept the offer of shelter." He looked at her expanded belly. "For the pup. It's clean, dry, safe. There's plenty of small game. The pack has been informed that you may be here. They've been instructed to leave you alone." He waited for a few heartbeats then asked, "Do you want me to show you the way?"

Her head dipped then rose. He almost swallowed his tongue. He swore that looked like a yes.

A few minutes later they were leaving the building. The wolf paused. She scented the air. The hair on the back of her neck rose. Gordon let her take in the scent of the pack and the surrounding area. After a moment she calmed down. He knew she was ready to move on when the hair on her back smoothed. He led her over the back lawn, over the shallow creek, and into the small clearing.

"I wish you could talk to me." He told her as they crossed to the storage unit.

The door had been removed and two thick tarps had been placed over the door to keep the elements out.

"You know I really need something to call you." They stood outside the tarp covered doors. He waited to see if she would go in and investigate her new home. She didn't.

Mia smelled too many Lycans to feel comfortable. Their scents, so calming in the past, left her on edge. Even the smell of this one, the one that liked her pup, made her nerves tingle unpleasantly. He wanted to communicate with her. He wanted to know her name. He was the only one she had contact with since she woke. She had vague foggy memories of him but they seemed to have happened in another time, in another life.

"I can't keep calling you wolf, or wolf born, now can I?" He asked. He chuckled softly. "I suppose it's not very imaginative but how about I call you Shenita?"

If he thought that wasn't imaginative then she shuddered to think of it. In all honesty, it wasn't that bad. She tilted her head, considering it. Fine, she thought. He had to call her something and being called wolf born made her heart hurt.

"Anyway, how about we check out your den." He asked down at her.

Inside the building, a thick pile of blankets stood a foot deep in the far corner. Under the blankets, someone had put an oversized, thick dog bed. Along the left wall were some large bowls and one of those automatic water drip bowls.

Mia could smell the scent of meat in the blue bowl. The blankets and sheets smelled of 4 or 5 different laundry soaps. She could scent Lycan but it was faint, fresh but faint.

Leaning against the wall was a metal fold-up chair. Mia watched him set in it.

"So, do you like it?" He asked.

Mia moved over to the pile of cloth. She climbed up and proceeded to make herself comfortable.

He smiled when she finally laid down. She gave soft huff and closed her eyes.

Emma stayed in her cabin, as she thought of it, and the small clearing for the next three days. No one bothered her but she noticed some of the pack at the edges of the clearing. Most of the visitors were teens. A week after she started exploring the area she heard muffled yells two miles from the main pack house. The words were too muffled to make out. Emma cautiously went to investigate. The closer she came the more she understood the words and voice.

"Moooommmiiieeee. Ppppllleeeaaaaasssssse."

Emma's heart sped up. The sound came from the ground. Or more accurately a hole in the ground about 30 inches wide.

"Hhh-hheelllp mmeee." The childish voice said from below.

Emma crouched down. Crawling on her pregnant belly was not easy but she moved forward. She peered down into the darkness. She gave a soft yip to comfort the child.

"Hello. Please? help. I'm stuck. C-ccan you hear me?" A small frightened voice called up.

Emma whined. It was definitely a child but even with her exceptional vision, she couldn't see the child.

With one last whine, Emma turned and ran as fast as her pregnant body would allow.

She ran to the packs' hospital. Trish opened the door. She walked down the steps. She froze when she saw Emma running towards her. Emma desperately tried to send the woman a mental image of the well.

"Shenita," Trish said. She was nervous.

Emma moved forward. Trish stepped back.

Emma released a low growling whine. She looked over her back toward the direction of the well. She whined.

Now Trish looked at her curiously. "Shenita, what?"

The door opened and Gordon exited. Emma was fairly certain that Trish had mind linked him. Good, she thought.

She tilted her head back and howled in frustration at not being able to do the same.

"Something's wrong," Gordon said.

Emma moved forward and grabbed the Lycan's pant leg. She tugged.

"Gordon, what the hell is she doing?" Kelly demanded, angrily.

Emma growled pasted the denim.

"I don't know," Gordon admitted.

Emma released him. she took a few steps in the direction she had come from the well. She lifted her head and yelled a deep wounded howl.

They now had a larger audience. She didn't recognize some of them but didn't care.

She went to the Alpha as he moved through the growing crowd.

At that point, she did something wolves seldom did. She cried.

Wolf born had tear ducts but they were purely for ridding the eyes of dust and other foreign matter. Emma's tears were of frustration and fear.

She tried to make herself small and ignore the murmurs of the crowd. She whined and looked toward the direction of the well.

Turning she headed in the right direction. She was six yards away when she stopped. She turned to the crowd. Two people had followed her.

She gave grateful yip and continued to the well. More of the pack had joined them. Some simply out of curiosity.

She knew the moment that the others heard the cries of the child. Her body had forced her to slow but now the others sped past her in wolf form.