8 Tiny Wolf Toy

"Casey!" Someone yelled before Emma made it to the well.

There were ten lycans, three were in wolf form. One Lycan lay on his human stomach at the edge of the well.

"Casey, we're going to get you out. I know you're scared but we'll have you out soon." He called down.

The girl whimpered. "Oookkay."

It took only ten minutes for a crowded to gather. Emma had found a nice pile of pine and oak. Her body too tired to move she just lay there watching as the pack struggled to free the girl.

Their first plan failed. The child was stuck and couldn't wrap a rope around her waist.

Emma blinked. Gordon was crossing the leaf covered ground making his way toward her. She couldn't even summons the energy to growl at him. He crouched down a few feet from her.

"I need to examine you."

Emma huffed and looked past him to the crowd.

"Shenita, look at me." He demanded. "They are doing everything they can to get Casey out."

Emma blinked at him and looked back at the others.

"I can see you're worried about her but I'm worried about your pup. You've healed remarkably well but you've not gained weight. You used a substantial amount of energy today. I want to make sure the pup isn't stressed."

Emma would have sighed but she lay back and allowed him access to her swollen abdomen. Slowly, cautiously, he moved forward. Emma remained still as he lightly pressed and felt her pregnant stomach. He used the stethoscope to listen to her heart and her pups.

"The pup's grown a lot since I last examined you. Are you in any pain?" He waited. She didn't bother with an answer. He stood and glanced over his shoulder at the efforts to free the child from the well. "Okay. Good. Rest here, for now. I'll have someone carry you back to your den-"

Emma cut him off with a low growl. She did not want anyone touching her. Her mate was the only one that had that right. A wave of sadness settled over her at the loss of her mate.

Think of the pup. Mia ordered.

"Or not." He said. "You are the most stubborn wolf, Lycan or wolf born, that I have ever met."

It took another four hours before the child was free from the earth.

Her mother rushed forward and wrapped a fuzzy pale green blanket around the whimpering child.

Emma stood. She made her way closer. They placed the child on a white sheet. It made the child look smaller and dirtier than she had.

Someone spoke to the mother in a calming, reassuring tone as Gordon gave the child an exam.

Emma growled threateningly at him as the little girl cried out in pain. Suddenly everyone froze in silence except for the whimpering girl.

Gordon ignored it all. His concentration centered on the patient.

The child's mother looked at Emma. When she moved the silence was broken.

Tears in her red bloodshot eyes she pushed her way past the crowd.

"Thank you." She said in a broken voice. Emma felt the woman's pain and her gratitude as she looked in her eyes. The woman shook her head. "I coo - could - couldn't lose her. It would have killed me. She is everything." She swiped away her tears. She moved closer.

Emma almost fled but managed to stand her ground.

The woman sat beside her. There was only a foot of space between them. They watched Gordon cared for the child.