13 The DNA Results

As soon as Clair entered the waiting room she sought out the Alpha.

"You said you had something to tell me." She asked. They could see her throat move as she swallowed. She meshed the fingers on her hands together and rubbed them in a nervous gesture.

He and the Luna led her into a room to the side away from the other members of the pack.

They explained what the Elders had said as gently as possible.

They also said that there was no definitive proof that the wolf was Emma.

Claire suggested a DNA test. The Luna said she would call Elder Snider and ask if a DNA test would work.

They left Claire alone in the room to think.

Gordon finally came out of the operating room 3/4 of an hour later. He carried a small tan bundle. Trish followed a few feet behind him.

The Alpha and Luna stood first, others followed. The news had spread quickly. The room had reached maximum capacity in less than half an hour ago. Others were told to go home and they would be told by pack link as soon as possible.

"It's a girl," Gordon said. He cuddled the bundle close and pulled back the covers. Inside was a large wolf cub with black fur. She had a silver patch of fur on her right ear. The cubs' eyes and ears had yet to open but she let out a tiny squeak of protest as the covers were pulled back and cool air invaded her warm shelter.

Someone laughed.

"And her mother?" The Luna asked.

Gordon and Trish both looked away. Trish visibly swallowed. "She alive." She whispered but it was clear she didn't expect it to last.

The Luna nodded solemnly. Claire stood watching the pup intently.

It's a wolf. She stated confused.

The Elders said they were born in wolf form. The mothers remained in wolf form even after death. The Alpha explained.

Did the pups? She asked. There was no horror in her tone, only curiosity.

Yes.

There was a moment of silence as Claire thought, privately.

Alpha, even if Shenita isn't Emma, I want to help her and this pup. Shenita saved Casey. How could I turn my back on them with a clear conscience? She asked. Her eyes never leaving the pup bundle.

The Alpha smiled. He felt a wave of pride in his pack mate.

You have our support, Emma, no matter what you choose. He told her. He knew his mate would agree.

Suddenly, Gordon was turning and thrusting the newborn pup to Trish. He rushed from the room leaving everyone looking after him stunned.

The Luna looked down at the bundled up pup with uncertainty.

Poor little thing. She thought sadly.

She felt her mate slide his hand into hers. She looked up at him.

He knew there was nothing to say but he held on giving what comfort he could.

Trish left with the pup following the same route as Gordon a few minutes had before.

It was another half hour before Gordon returned. His eyes looked into the Alpha's. He shook his head. "I did everything I could. She just couldn't hold on any longer."

There were a few soft sounds of grief from the gathered. "The pups fine. Trish is with her. She has her in a crib."

"When will she be released? I want to take her home as soon as possible." Claire said.

Some people were surprised by the statement. Others, knowing Claire, were ready to offer a hand as she needed it. After a look at the Alpha and Luna who nodded their heads, Gordon turned back to Claire.

"I want her to stay here a few days. But you can visit."

Five days later the pup went home. She was given her own room with a playpen as a bed.

After two days at home, she opened her eyes to reveal startling green eyes. She was suckling at a bottle of formula at the time.

Unable to resist Claire called the Alpha, Luna, her mother, Casey, and Gordon.

They had sent the DNA of the wolf, the pup, and Emma and Claire mother to a Lycan owned lab. The results weren't back yet.

Claire didn't need them. She loved the pup regardless. She didn't care that it was a wolf.

After a few weeks, Gordon grew concerned with the growth of the pups. She still looked to be a newborn. She seemed healthy but she wasn't growing as quickly as wolf born.

"I think Shenita was a Lycan." He told the Alpha, Luna, and Claire. "I don't know what that makes this pup. But she's growing at our rate. Even domestic dogs grow up quickly. She's put on weight but she should have doubled in size."

"I don't think we should worry. She survived against the odds. She doesn't seem to have the aversions to us as her mother did. She plays with the children and adults. She likes to be around others. Her growth rate may be slow but she could catch up with herself."

"And if she does? Her life span could catch up too. Domestic K9s live longer than their wild cousins. We have no idea how her metabolism will process."

Everyone remained silent for a moment. It was Claire that broke the silence. "It doesn't matter. I hope her - metabolism - ends up like ours. But I've believed her to be Emma's daughter for weeks now. Even if the DNA test says she isn't I don't care. If she lives weeks, years or decades I'll be there for her."

Gordon cleared his throat. "I haven't opened them yet."

"Opened them?"

"The results. I got them in the post a few hours ago."

He retrieved the envelope and rejoined them in his office. He opened the package and looked at the others. "Are you sure?" They each nodded.

He removed the bundles of paper. One stack was secured with a large pink paperclip the other green. He glanced at the cover of both and selected the pink one.

He reviewed the information it contained and his brow furrowed in confusion.

"It says Shenita's DNA samples were unusable. Sample contamination is listed as the cause." Upset he protested. "I took those samples. I didn't mess them up, Alpha."

"It's okay, Gordon. It was worth a try." The Alpha said.

"Yeah. But we still know nothing." Gordon said exasperatedly. He tossed the papers on the desk. He sighed heavily.

"We still have the pups."

Gordon shrugged but picked up the papers. He reviewed them and gasped. "97.894968% probability that the pup is related to the second sample. Amazing. I figured her sample would be unusable too."

"97.894 something %. What does that mean? Is she my family?" Claire asked. She sounded hopeful.

"Yes. Most likely. There's still a 2.105032% chance she isn't. But under the circumstances, I can't see that being likely." Gordon told her.