CHAPTER 2 - Surprise, surprise. Sarcasm intended.

[Slightly Edited]

CHAPTER 2- Surprise, surprise. Sarcasm intended.

~*~*~*~

"So you're telling me, that you have complete control over 12 of my best knights and you couldn't catch one woman?" A man with a graying beard paced around a big lone throne room, fingers rubbing at his throbbing temple.

"Sir, that woman had been on the Top 5 most wanted criminals over six different lands, had never been caught and was known to be..." Crawford pulled out a folded paper and opened it up. "To be a snotty, quick-tempered, cheeky temptress who haunts even the toughest of lords in their...umm...sleep. According to national survey, sir." Crawford let out, his face neutral and blank as a bead of sweat trickled down the sides of his face.

"A what??-what does that even mean?" The man exclaimed, his hard voice making the knights flinch. "But a woman? My God, Crawford. It's still a woman."

Crawford wanted to say something about discriminating women, thinking about what his mother did to him when he didn't pound the peanut butter right when he was still a mere stable boy. He shuddered at the thought but kept his mouth shut.

"What is this about women I hear?" A soft but steady voice spoke in a distance.

All the men in the room turned their head to find a beautiful lady of age walking towards them, her stance elegant and smooth. Old age didn't stop Lady Genievive Elmore from being the elegant and proper mistress the kingdom needed her to be. She walked with a straight back and her chin high.

Suddenly the room was filled with the audible scent of roses.

"My love, you're back!" The king strode towards the woman and gave her a peck on the cheek.

"Yes." Lady Elmore smiled deadly and looked at her husband blankly. "Are you cheating on me, Darling?" She sniffed, her eyes watering.

The knights gaze fell upon the king in question, waiting for his answer.

"What? W-Why would you think that?" The king asked and wiped the tear that escaped her eyes.

The men's eyes moved to Lady Elmore automatically.

"You were talking about a woman? With the knights! Last time I checked you only talked about intimate things with your captains." Lady Elmore crossed her arms.

"Political things, my love! Political!" The king exclaimed rubbing his palm all over his face in frustration.

"Now don't you give me that tone! What about the woman thing I heard just now?" She asked.

The men's eyes now moved to the king and waited for his answer. This was a normal routine in this household. The debates are hotter here than on the council.

"We were talking about the woman outlaw who had swiftly escaped my best knights." The king gritted his teeth and glared back at the men who stood rigid at his words.

"Oh, that's too bad. I told you that you should have made Mira the captain of the team. I mean, I know that woman can do anything." Lady Elmore waved her hand in a dismissive wave. "No offense, Sir Crawford." Lady Elmore batted her eyelashes to the frowning man standing before them with his tired knights.

"None taken, milady." He answered with a firm voice and gave her a little gentlemanly bow.

He had always disliked being compared to that newbie. Mira Hailey. That woman just came from nowhere, proved herself until she was next to best. Sure she can pack a punch but nothing hurts more than your pride beaten down by a woman; the only woman on the kingdom's law officers too.