CHAPTER 10 - DANCING WITH FLAMES

CHAPTER 10 - DANCING WITH FLAMES (the battle has begun)

~*~*~*~

Espen took a firm step forward with her right foot as she thrusts the sword forward, aiming for his heart as the other knights stepped back at the battle brewing before them.

Crawford anticipated the move and blocked it with his sword easily and faked a yawn, purposely trying to anger Espen.

"Is that the best you can do? Do you want me to go easy on you?" Crawford asked and gave Espen a slap-worthy smile.

But instead she smirked in response as she bent down and twirled, trying to kick his knees in one swift move to make Crawford loose poise.

But he anticipated it too as he hopped in the air.

As he was still airborne, Espen quickly thrusts her sword upward. Crawford barely even dodged that one and a thin red line scarred his neck.

Losing balance from the sudden ambush, he stumbles back slightly as Espen made a move again and slashed her sword as Crawford backed away again.

"Why are you so quiet, sweet Emma?" Crawford taunted as he blocked every thrust of Espen's sword with his.

"Be quiet, you. I'm trying to concentrate." Espen growled playfully as she delivered stab after stab in which he just dodged.

Espen stepped back with a slight frown. "Why do you not attack? You just keep on doing defenses. I can handle--" Espen was cut off as Crawford leaped towards her and tried to slash her in one swift graceful move.

Espen's eyes widened as she was barely able to deflect it with her own sword. They battle for dominance as their swords clashed.

Crawford leaned close to her face with his arrogant grin. "Just waiting for the right moment to strike." He told her then leaned closer to her ear. "Tell you what, why don't we bet?" He whispered.

Espen breathed in sharply as she won the dominance and was able to push him away as she slashed to get him to back off. "What do you mean?" Espen asked as she leaped towards him and tried to jab him at the shoulder but he dodged with a spin.

"This battle would be pointless wouldn't it, if we were just doing it for nothing. So why don't we bet on it?" Crawford said while he spun as he suddenly grabbed the hilt of her sword with her hand on it and pulled her towards him, making her drop the sword.

Espen gasped as she was now stuck in Crawford's grasp, her back pressed to his chest.

Crawford's sword inched it's way up Espen's neck as she watch it glint in the scorching sun.

His breath tickled her neck. "If you win, I'll listen to whatever your terms is and obey it." He whispered. "But if I win..."

Espen used all her strength and gave him a head butt and yanked herself away as Crawford stepped back.

"If you win, what?" Espen growled and picked up her sword as she straightened her stance and prepared to pounce again.

But he beat her to it as he leaped towards her first and they clashed swords once more.

He had a dark humorless smile on his face. "If I win, you're going to have to tell me who you really are..." He whispered.

Espen's eyes widened as she spun around gracefully and got out of his way and slashed towards him again only for him to block it with his sword.

Espen was panicking inside, thinking how this knight could've suspected of her being another person.

Was she that obvious?