CHAPTER 8 - Befriending a Rose

CHAPTER 8 - Befriending a Rose (It's not the plant)

Espen stood there in the middle of the hallway, unmoving, until she no longer heard the clicking of his cane and his footsteps.

She let out the breath she hadn't noticed she held shakily as her eyes wandered over the locked door.

Looking back and front to find no one in the hall she was in, she slowly tiptoed over to the door and placed an ear over the dark wood.

Espen can hear sobs and the sound of beads falling and hitting something solid.

She knew she shouldn't do this but she has to check to make sure the woman is alright.

Espen knocked gently and noticed how the crying seized with a slight gasp.

"Excuse me, miss but are you alright in there?" Espen asked.

Espen heard the shuffling of movements and the moving of objects.

"Oh. Yes. Thank you for asking." A soft woman's voice spoke with a slight sniff.

Espen paused for a while. "Then why are you crying?" She asked in a whispered tone.

The woman inside didn't answer as the place became quiet once more.

"I heard you and that man fight over something a little while ago. He threatened me too, not to tell anyone." Espen told the woman truthfully, her senses were sharp and alert.

Espen knows what she was doing.

"H-He did?" The woman said. "Whoever you are behind the door, know that this is not a very pleasing topic to go over by the door." She added and tried to sound stern but she ended up sobbing it.

"Then open the door," Espen replied.

"I cannot. You are a complete stranger to me. I apologize." The woman inside spoke dreadfully.

"My name is Espen." Espen said and after that her eyes widened on the name she blurted out.

Espen quickly looked around the hall in panic, still no one was there.

Good.

"Wait, do not say my name." Espen said quickly.

"Why?" The woman asked, surprised at Espen's change of tone.

"Just not yet. Not until I get this door open." Espen moved back and examined the lock.

"You cannot open this door. My father--" She paused at that. "...Locked the door from the outside. He probably has the key." The woman added sadly.

Espen took two pins she strapped to her dress, knelt down and began fumbling with the lock.

"Do not endanger yourself for me and be on your way. It was nice meeting you though---" The woman's words were cut off as the door opened slowly, revealing Espen with a huge grin on her face.

Espen looked ahead as her eyes landed on a woman before her and as she took in the woman's appearance, she couldn't help but be in awe on her enchanting pixie looks.

The woman had long golden hair, braided down to her knees. She had smooth peachy skin and beautiful blue eyes. Over all she looked soft and gentle.

Espen would describe her features like an antique doll's.

The woman's mouth was wide open as she watched Espen close the door behind her.

"How did you...do that, Espen?" The woman wondered, amazement shining in her blue orbs.