CHAPTER 9 - A New Bud

CHAPTER 9 - A New Bud (see what I did there?)

Espen simply smiled as she stared at Rose's horror-stricken face as she sat there in her bed with her jaw wide open.

"A-Are you really?" Rose whispered as blue eyes stare into Espen's brown ones.

Espen shrugged as she squat down the floor, rearranging her skirt a little. "Yes. Are you afraid?" Espen asked.

Rose looked down for a while before sighing and shaking her head 'no' slowly. "No, I guess not. You're not a--- mu--murderer, are you?" Rose said as she hugged the bucket on instincts.

"Dear lord, no. I would never murder anyone." Espen reassured Rose who sighed with relief and happiness.

She believed Espen and she trusted her that she told the truth.

"I steal to survive. And well, I may have angered a few governments or so, but nothing major." Espen explained. "Now, you must not tell anyone about me."

Rose gulped and nodded slowly. "I won't."

Espen smiled as she stared deeply into Rose's shining blue eyes. "How did you get that... Ability of yours?" Espen asked.

Rose blinked twice but smiled and was about to answer when Espen's sharp hearing heard a slow tap of footsteps and the familiar clicking of a cane getting nearer.

Espen held a palm out for silence as she looked around in panic and alertness. "Rose, he's coming." Espen told the woman who stared at the door wide-eyed.

"What are we going to do? What if he finds you? Oh lord." Rose whispered.

Espen placed her hand on Rose's shoulder. "Don't worry. It was nice meeting you, Rose. Stay safe and keep your promise." Espen spoke as she strotted towards the room's window and looked down.

It was two stories high, Espen noted as she looked around the field.

She can jump over those bushes and survive the fall.

Looking back at Rose who followed her to the window, Espen grabbed both of Rose's shoulder and turned Rose around to face the door and not the window. "Act normal. Like I wasn't here." Espen whispered.

"Will I see you again, Espen?" Rose whispered as the steps grew nearer.

"Count on that." Espen said as she jumped without a thought and lunged on a branch of a nearby tree and fell down the bushes.

Rose was about to look back when the door opened slowly, revealing Duke Grande, her father.

She stopped the action as she strolled towards her father casually.

She was going to speak when her father suddenly grabbed Rose's wrist and yanked her towards him.

"Why was the door unlocked??" The duke growled as his smart eyes searched the room.

Rose's eyes widened. Of course. They have forgotten that tiny little detail and now, her father would--

"Rose. Had someone been in here?" Her father asked sternly as he looked back to give a malicious stare at Rose.

She shook her head 'no' with wide eyes.

He suddenly grasped her cheeks and pulled her up, making Rose stand on her toes as a whimper escaped her lips. "Do not lie to me, girl!" He bellowed.

Two beads of diamonds fell out of her eyes as she stayed quiet and stared at her father with fear.

"How dare you--" The duke began before he stopped in midsentence with wide eyes in realization.