CHAPTER 16 - The Escape Plan

"You know, you just jeopardized your reputation as a knight." Espen spoke when they reached a vast forest using a secret path leading to the palace.

Crawford hadn't spoken still then and Espen was getting worried by his silence.

"You can just let go of me now and pretend you had nothing to do with it. I will be part of the act. I won't blame you." Espen tried again, not knowing what Crawford must be thinking right now as he held her wrist and pulled her away.

"Crawford---I mean, Jesse--" Espen began once more but she was cut mid-sentence when Crawford turned to look at her.

"Will you be quiet? I am trying to help you escape here and you're just ranting again and again, do you want us to get caught?" He said as Espen looked up at his eyes and was surprised to see excitement and humor.

Espen knew she should be thanking him at this moment but she just didn't understand why. Why would he help her?

"What? You---you just helped me escape prison. And you are a knight! Why would y---" Espen reasoned as she yanked her wrist away from Crawford's grasp.

"Espen. Listen to me, Espen. I want to do this, okay? I chose to do this. I chose you. Now, don't make me regret that choice by getting us caught. Come on!" He told her before he began leading the way again.

Espen was quiet along the way as they neared the back gate of the palace. She knew he was leading her towards the stables. They needed a ride.

As they slipped inside, hiding behind the shadows of the trees, Espen stopped him abruptly by pulling on her wrist. "Jesse, I have to do something first." Espen told him as he spun in confusion.

"What?" He asked.

"Just---something. I'll---" Espen was cut off when Crawford's warm palm came in contact with her cheek.

"Your face is red." He said as a smile started to form on his lips. He celebrated his truimph silently, knowing what the cause of the blush was.

"No, it's not. Darn it, nevermind that, okay? I'll meet you at the stables." Espen said and was about to run off into another direction when Crawford caught her wrist and pulled her suddenly into his arms and gave her a passionate kiss.

Espen's eyes were wide as they pull apart slowly.

"Don't try to leave without me." He said as he watched Espen turn away, her face red as flames.

"I wasn't planning to." Espen told him as she ran away and tried to calm her raging pulse.

~**~**~

There was a loud thud and a faint creak coming from the window, making Rose seize her tears as she looked up to find the woman she just betrayed.

Espen stood, on the base of the big window as she scanned the room and eyed the door. Ignoring Rose's shocked stare, Espen crossed the room towards the door and was relieved to find that the door was already locked.

"E-Espen? Wha--What are you d-doing here?" Rose stuttered in a breathless voice, fear rising within her, thinking Espen was there for revenge.

Espen took a deep breath before she turned to Rose with a smile."Rose." Espen acknowledged.

Without warning, Rose's tears began falling again, drop by drop towards the floor as she stared in sadness at Espen. "Espen. I am sorry. I didn't mean to. My father--- No, it was me. I was weak and afraid. I cannot---" Rose began, her voice muffled slightly because of her crying.