Chapter 4 - Where is Jasper anyway?

CHAPTER 4 – Where is Jasper anyway?

~*~*~*~

"I-I'm sorry! I didn't know a lady was still bathing." Crawford said with the most embarrassed look Espen had ever seen on a man before.

Espen quickly plunged in the cool water, her head poking out to glare at the shameless knight. "What are you doing here?! How did you get here so quickly? Weren't you inside Mira's room just moments ago?" Espen hissed.

Crawford looked at Espen with confusion and most definitely suspicion. "I never went into Mira's room." He said coolly, crossing his muscled biceps across his muscled chest.

He didn't—wait, that wasn't Mira's room, was it? Then whose? My God, she just plunged herself to near death there. She's going to get caught.

"I-I mean—what? Then whose chamber was it? I saw you come out of a room's door then a few moments later came out Miss Mira." Espen said and tried to sound innocent and truthful.

Crawford didn't answer and just raised an eyebrow at her. He was still suspicious .

"I'm a new servant here." Espen said quickly after a while, which clarified many things in Crawford's mind.

"Ah, I see." He said; still looking at Espen's head poking out the river.

Espen's rear was freezing and if this pervert doesn't tear his gaze away from her, she swears to God she's going to throw the soap dish at him. "Will you—Will you please—Not look at me?!" Espen hissed as her cheeks burned from the humiliation of the situation.

Crawford only smirked in amusement. "I apologize for my unknightly behavior but how can I when there's a fine female specimen in front of me?" He said flirtatiously which made Espen cringe in disgust.

She hates it when men flirted with her.

Then it dawned to her that he didn't recognize her. Her eyes widened in realization.

She had been filthy every time their fates clashed throughout the city but now she was clean, she was fresh, she was pale and she was naked. No more grime and dirt. No clothes and weapons.

Of course he won't recognize me! Espen thought with satisfaction knowing that her mission might go easily as she planned without the interference of this buffoon.

Espen hadn't realized where she was staring at until she looked up at his face to find his smirk still intact if not wider. "Like what you see?" He began again which made Espen blush madder and clench her fists.

Espen, Espen keep your cool. You must give the impression of a shy innocent poor servant girl. Yes... Calm down...

Don't do anything stupid.

But unfortunately, quiet little devil on her right shoulder won her judgment.

Espen angrily stood up from the water, exposing her naked body to the knight in a second, grabbed the soap dish and threw it with adamant force which hit him squarely in the nose, sending him tumbling back.

"You are a miserable perverted knight!" Espen screamed at him, grabbed her new clothes and went running back to the castle, huffing and puffing in irritation.

Crawford clutched his throbbing nose with one hand, his other hand holding the bent soap dish. He had no idea what was up with that suspicious woman.

Most women would have been honored to be flirted by a man of nobility, a knight per say! But the darn woman had thrown him a soap dish with perfect aim; he was worried if the strong impact broke his nose.