CHAPTER 6 - A scene at the stables

CHAPTER 6 - A scene at the stables (with a certain knight per say)

~*~*~*~

Espen peeked inside a door, slightly open from when the maids came bursting in.

Men and women in their uniforms were running all about the kitchen, grabbing aprons and trays and quickly lunging out the door. Espen jumped away to avoid getting trampled over.

Espen concluded that they were going to serve the food for supper now.

At first it didn't click for all she was thinking about was the delicious aroma the food emitted but after her mind processed the information, she realized that she could use this moment to escape.

Everyone was busy and minding their own business, half of the royals and the knights are probably eating their hearts out.

And she won't be bothered after supper until the queen asks for something.

And by then, she would be gone!

"Perfect!" Espen cried out loud and turned her head to find a male servant looking at her confusingly and suspiciously.

Espen managed out a croaked laugh and kissed her fingers. "Perfect! The food is perfect! Yes, now go serve that." Espen ushered the servant who nodded and dashed away towards the dining hall.

Turning around and walking away, Espen's eyes glinted with recklessness and excitement.

She would run when there is no one on the hall then would suddenly walk casually with a smile when she would run into someone.

When she got near the back doors, she peeked around for any signs of-- well, anyone-- and when she was sure no one was around, she slipped outside the huge manor and quickly and quietly dashed towards the stables.

Reaching the large shed, she tiptoed inside, not noticing that a dim light was burning inside. She slipped in the doors and closed it.

"Excuse me, are you looking for something?" A familiar voice of a man spoke lowly and smoothly from behind Espen.

Espen prevented herself from flinching as she turned around to find Crawford sprawled gracefully on a stack of hay, cleaning a sword.

She was still on the shadows of the barn as she pursed her lips to think of an excuse.

"Show yourself." He demanded dominantly.

Espen walked awkwardly and with jolly towards the light and let out a tight smile as her identity was revealed.

"Heeeey," she greeted casually.

"It's you." He tipped his head in recognition as he scanned Espen from head to toe. "What are you doing here, maiden from the river?" He said, one corner of his lips lifting.

Espen slumped slightly at his term. "I have a name you know." She grumbled.

He lifted an eyebrow as he smiled knowingly. "And what would that be?"

"You don't earn the right to know." Espen crossed her arms.

"Right? You talk to me about right as if you didn't throw a soap dish at me." Crawford said, his face half-amused and half-irritated.

"You were peeking at me!" Espen yelled at him as her face ignites red at the memory.

"Peeking? I was looking, my dear. Peeking is when you are hiding behind a rock, trying to steal glances at fair skin bathing at the river." Crawford smirked at his argument and began cleaning his sword again.