Chapter 29

Training went smoothly. Some faster than others but I managed to balance the time between training and investigating Kazama. For now they were in hiding. If they were as skilled as me, it would be a while until I got wind of his whereabouts.

I was coming to dinner late, ready to tell them of my break on the investigation. I wasn't that enthusiastic about it, I was a bit annoyed. They would be back though. If they wanted to find the one they were looking for, they would have to.

I was walking in with my eyes closed, tiredly with a sigh. "I decided to-" My fingers catch the sardine that had almost hit me in my face. I keep my eyes closed. "Who's is this?"

"S-Sakura?" They ask.

"I came to say I was taking a break on the search for Kazama which I'm not very happy about. But a fish is thrown at me." I open my eyes and spot the two guilty suspects. I walk in and close the door making the worry. Then I smile with a laugh.

"But it's okay, Shinpachi and Heisuke. It was an accident, right?"

"Yeah!" They both say smiling with relief. They have given themselves away. I'm still smiling and laughing cheerfully.

"Both of you will receive punishments during training today so be ready."

"What!? But Shinpachi-"

"Oh, and I'm so hungry! Mind if I pick a few things from both your food? After all you must not be hungry if you're playing with your food." I laugh dropping the fish on the tray and taking both Heisuke's and Shinpachi's tray of food.

"We could just prepare you your-" They begin.

"Don't worry! No I'm fine with this! Thank you for giving it to me! I'm just really hungry." I say as I sit down. They both whine and groan. I drop the cheerfulness with a sigh as I lean back against the wall.

"But I'm really stopping the search. My search would lead me out of Kyoto and I know we're being watched. That's why I can only go out at night."

"I assumed as much." Hijikata says. "So will we just wait? I'm not sure how I feel about the spy."

"I got that covered. I'll be taking care of them tonight. Hopefully I can get some information but it isn't likely."

"Can they do anything with the information they got from what you are?" Sannan asks.

"Yes and no. I wouldn't think they'd get the researches who tested on furies but it is a possibility. If that happens they'll do me a favor so I won't have to search. But they might attract more... People like them. It can go many ways but I assure you, I won't let them do any harm to you." Kondou gives me a warm smile.

"How is the training going?" Hijikata asks.

"Surprisingly well. I didn't think they'd progress this fast. I sort of think I helped them look at different situations differently." He nods.

"Do you think you need training yourself?" Everyone laughs at the ridiculousness but I think.

"Not in skill or strength but I do know my emotional and mental state can sometimes interfere or influence my actions."

"Do you know of any training to help with that? Or what of your sword fighting?" Sannan asks.

"Ugh, really? I don't know any mental training but I have better control over that. But... Do I have to do sword training? It makes me uncomfortable and it's almost embarrassing at how bad I am at it."

"It is preferable that you do know how to use a sword." Hijikata says.

"I would like you to do some lessons... How about you take lessons from each of the captains to see how different instructors can help." Kondou suggests.

"What!? All of them!? Kondou-San!" I cry falling against Saitou in dread making Kondou laugh.

"Yes, Sakura. Saitou-kun is one of our best swordsman. He might be able to get through to you. I recommend starting with him." I cross my arms pouting.

"Bleh." I say childishly.

~~~

Everyone comes to watch my lesson as Saitou gives me a wooden sword. "Let's do one sparring session to see where you're at. I suggest not using anything untraditional."

I nod taking stance. He nods in approval. "Keep a constant grip and make sure your movements are strong. If you don't I'll stop the match to correct you." Great, it'll be more embarrassing.

It's our first cross with our swords and he stops me. "Keep a firm grip. I could tell you were about to let me slide off your blade to the side so I could stumble. I want you to show me that you know the basics." I nod.

Again we strike and I'm stopped. "Your too fluid. That is good but that's causing your off grip and less effective attacks."

"It's a habit. I use fans!" I defend. He doesn't stop me on my first counter attack but stops me at the second.

"You keep readying an attack you can't do without releasing your sword. Never abandon the blade." I nod. We're about to begin until I am once again stopped.

"What!? I haven't started!"

"Your starting position isn't strong enough. It's more as if you're ready to dodge and jump rather than facing the opponent head on." I roll my eyes and he strikes. I catch it with my hand.

"You didn't block, you let your hand be injured and took your hands off your sword. You'd be vulnerable."

"It doesn't matter honestly. My form of fighting fits me. It's effective in its own way and I'm good at hand to hand combat as well."

"If your enemy has a sword and your only available weapon was a sword, would you take that disadvantage?" I grin leaning against the sword.

"It's an advantage. To use the sword but not for the purposes he thinks. And yes I know what you mean but I think in terms of a real situation."

"And what about the Masked Champion?" I sigh.

"That's different. I make sure to keep the match short to avoid something like this...." I put my hands behind my head. "Honestly, everything is sort of hazy right now. And I don't like these wooden swords."

"But your actions seem almost deliberate. Like your keeping yourself from progressing." I shrug.

"It isn't her fault." I turn and see Yamazaki with the others

"What's going on?" I ask. Everyone looks uncomfortable and avoided eye contact. Saitou noticed too.

"Yes her moves are subconsciously deliberate but she isn't aware of it. I'm afraid to say that when your memories were blocked, so was your ability to truly use a sword. Your mind sabotages your bodies will. While in one of our sessions you talked about this. I'm sorry, but... Until you process that memory, you won't be able to learn much from anyone." I sigh and toss the wooden sword to the side.

"That could explain a few things... Well thanks for telling me. I will once again go back to my normal fighting and let that little fact put some ease on one of the many disappointments in my life."

"Sakura..." Kondou begins as I walk away.

"No it's fine. I'm gonna go rest. Training is cancelled today." I inform them as I let them watch me leave with pity.

So many things have been taken away from me but... Why was my sword skills so important? Could it be that... I feel a shift in the air around me. Distant but I could track it? Was it... Kazama?

Yes, without a doubt.