Chapter 33

"Sakura, I need to talk to you." Hiro had barged in on breakfast.

"What for?" Kondou-San and Souji ask at the same time.

"It's a personal matter." I catch his serious tone.

"Okay, lead the way." Souji catches my hand when I'm about to walk away. I give him a reassuring smile. "It'll be fine, Souji. I won't take too long." He rolls his eyes but let's me leave.

I follow him to the empty courtyard. "What's this about?" She asks folding her arms.

"I've heard from my men that you and Souji are-"

"Nope, I'm not talking about this to you."I turn around but he catches my wrist and grips it painfully. I look at him with narrowed eyes.

"Does he know about your nightmares? Does he make sure you actually fall asleep? Does he even know a single thing about you?" He yells at me.

"Why are you angry? As I recall you said something like you would gladly let off since you knew you couldn't give me what I needed."

"You were listening?"

"Nothing personal, just business. It's my job to protect them. I don't let feelings get in the way of that." I say yanking my hand away from him.

"You never did. But I said if someone could actually give you that."

"He gives me that. The Shinsengumi gives me that. You don't know anything about them."

"You barley sleep. You're sleeping less now then when we were together! You can't even get along with the members!"

"Is that your reasoning? Your evidence?" I ask calmly.

"Sakura, I could do that for you. I did do that for you. I can protect you." He says grabbing my arms.

"Stop this nonsense." I say pulling away but he yanks me back.

"I only came here for you, not them. Sakura, you're-"

"If that's so, than as the protector and informant of the Shinsengumi, I order you to leave." His eyes widen. "Let go of me."

"You'd pick those mutts over me? Who-"

"Okay, just stop it! I'm trying to be calm but I have no other choice." I say shoving him back. "This is my place, this is my reason to live and to fight. Here, I've never been better. Kondou-San is a great leader and the closest thing I have to a father right now. All of them are like family and even Yamazaki. I know I've been angry with him but I know he had me in his best interest. He helped me, all of them did. And for once in my life I'm not scared." His eyes widen. "And yes, Souji and I happen to care for each other but an outsider doesn't need to know much past that."

When I turn I see everyone watching. "Then they can watch you die." I'm in frozen shock as I look down at the blade coming from my chest. "I love you. And this is the best thing for something like you." He sharply twists it and I hear yelling.

He pulls out the sword letting me fall to my knees touching my bleeding chest. "Sakura!" I hear Souji yell.

"Stop." I say letting the blood drip from my mouth. Everyone freezes. I chuckle looking back at Hiro who stares at me in horror. "You tried to kill me when you said you wanted the best for me?"

"W-what are you?"

"I'm not gonna hold back." His eyes widens as he takes stance. I run and jump behind him. A few jabs and he's already down. I kick him over so he looks at me. He can't move no matter how hard he tries. I pick up his sword and point it down at him.